Elastic deformation of a solid body & heat

In summary, during the interaction of two steel or rubber disks on a friction-free surface, both disks deform elastically. This means that a part of the deforming energy may be converted to heat, but the effect is often negligible and referred to as an "elastic" collision. This effect is mentioned in books, but it is not always a significant factor and can be approximated as a 100% elastic collision in certain cases.
vikim
Let' say two steel or rubber disks hit each other
moving on friction-free surface.
During the interaction, both disks deform elastically.
My question is, does part of deforming energy
gets converted to heat ?
Why not ? Why this effect is never mentioned ? Is it negligible ?
I know from experience that if I bend steel wire, it heats in the place where it's bent.

Thanks
viki

Physics news on Phys.org
vikim said:
Let' say two steel or rubber disks hit each other
moving on friction-free surface.
During the interaction, both disks deform elastically.
My question is, does part of deforming energy
gets converted to heat ?
Why not ? Why this effect is never mentioned ? Is it negligible ?
I know from experience that if I bend steel wire, it heats in the place where it's bent.

Thanks
viki

The effect may be negligible or not. When it is, we call the collision "elastic".
The effect is mentioned in books, this is not a secret. At least I read about it.
There is no really 100% elastic collision, only good approximations to one.

What is elastic deformation of a solid body?

Elastic deformation is the temporary change in shape or size of a solid body due to an applied external force. This change is reversible and the body will return to its original shape once the force is removed.

How does heat affect the elastic deformation of a solid body?

Heat can cause an increase in the elastic deformation of a solid body. This is because heat energy increases the internal energy of the body, causing its molecules to vibrate more vigorously and increase the distance between them. As a result, the body becomes more flexible and easier to deform under external forces.

What is the relationship between temperature and elastic deformation of a solid body?

The relationship between temperature and elastic deformation of a solid body is direct. As temperature increases, the elastic deformation also increases. This is due to the increase in thermal energy which causes the molecules in the body to move more freely, making it easier for the body to deform under external forces.

Can elastic deformation of a solid body occur without the presence of heat?

Yes, elastic deformation can occur without the presence of heat. This is because the deformation is caused by an external force, not by thermal energy. However, heat can make the deformation easier to occur and can also cause permanent deformation if the temperature is high enough.

What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, while plastic deformation is permanent and irreversible. In elastic deformation, the body returns to its original shape once the external force is removed. In plastic deformation, the body retains its deformed shape even after the force is removed. Additionally, elastic deformation occurs within the elastic limit of the material, while plastic deformation occurs beyond this limit.