Elastic modulii relation for a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the three elastic moduli for a sphere and how stress applied along one axis can result in strain along the other two axes. The speaker also mentions their confusion about the resulting strain in a sphere compared to a cube. The conversation concludes with a reminder that the elastic moduli are a characteristic of the material, not the specific piece of material being studied.
monty37
say i derive the relationship between the 3 elastic modulii for a sphere.
i consider the 3 co-ordinate axes.if stress is applied only along x-axis,there would be a resulting strain along Y and Z.

My book derived it for a cube,that was quite simple,but i cannot imagine the resulting strain caused in a sphere unlike a cube.

vol of sphere=4/3(3.14)r^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would there be a difference? The stress-strain relationship (for small strains) applies to any infinitesimal element, regardless of the size or shape of the object. If the stress is the same, then the strain will be the same, sphere or cube.

but the expression for strain would vary in case of a sphere,right

say p/E is the stress on one of the sides of the cube

then resulting strains would be say 1*p/(m*E) on the other faces

but in case of a sphere we cannot consider faces .

monty37 said:
say i derive the relationship between the 3 elastic modulii for a sphere.
i consider the 3 co-ordinate axes.if stress is applied only along x-axis,there would be a resulting strain along Y and Z.

My book derived it for a cube,that was quite simple,but i cannot imagine the resulting strain caused in a sphere unlike a cube.

vol of sphere=4/3(3.14)r^3

The elastic moduls are a characteristic of the material not of the specific piece of material.
I suppose you are talking about the elastic stiffness (or compliance) coefficients.

What is the elastic modulus of a sphere?

The elastic modulus of a sphere refers to the measure of how much a material can deform under stress without breaking. It is a measure of the stiffness and strength of a material.

What is the relationship between the elastic modulus and the radius of a sphere?

The elastic modulus of a sphere is directly proportional to the square of its radius. This means that as the radius of the sphere increases, its elastic modulus also increases.

How does the elastic modulus of a sphere relate to its material properties?

The elastic modulus of a sphere is a material property that is dependent on factors such as the type of material, its composition, and its internal structure. Different materials have different elastic moduli, and this affects their overall strength and stiffness.

How is the elastic modulus of a sphere measured?

The elastic modulus of a sphere is typically measured using a tensile or compression test. In these tests, the sphere is subjected to a controlled amount of stress, and the resulting strain is measured. The elastic modulus is then calculated using the stress-strain relationship.

Why is the elastic modulus of a sphere important in engineering and material science?

The elastic modulus of a sphere is an important parameter in engineering and material science as it helps in determining the suitability of a material for various applications. It also affects the performance and durability of structures made from the material, making it a crucial factor to consider in design and manufacturing processes.