What is the method for deriving Stokes' law for drag around a sphere?

In summary, the Stokes equation for flow around a sphere can be solved to obtain the pressure in the fluid using the formula p=p0-3nuacosθ/2r2, where n is the viscosity, u is the speed of the fluid, a is the radius of the sphere, and r, θ are the usual spherical polar coordinates. Additionally, an expression for the velocity field u=(ur,uθ,0) can be obtained. There is a method for deriving Stokes' law for drag, F=6πnau, which involves using the velocity field to compute the stress on the sphere due to the fluid and integrating it over the sphere. However, this method does not take into account the pressure, which can also
fayled
So you can solve the Stokes equation for flow around a sphere to obtain the pressure in the fluid:
p=p0-3nuacosθ/2r2
where n is the viscosity, u is the speed of the fluid (along the z axis) far away from the sphere, a is the radius of the sphere and r,θ are the usual spherical polar coordinates.

We can also obtain an expression for the velocity field u=(ur,uθ,0) which I won't type here because I'm only concerned about the general principles of something.

My question is about the method for deriving Stokes' law for drag, F=6πnau. The method I have seen is to use the velocity field to work out the viscous stress tensor, which allows you to compute the stress (as a vector) on the sphere due to the fluid. This vector can then be integrated over the sphere to give the required drag force.

However, I don't understand why we can't just integrate the pressure*(-r/r) i.e multiplied by its direction of action on the surface of the sphere, the radial unit vector, and integrate this over the sphere to give the drag force. I have tried and it doesn't seem to give the same result (you don't need to perform the integral, only need notice that the stress vector and the vector obtained from the pressure are not equivalent).

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you integrate the pressure around the surface in Stokes flow you should get zero. The pressure on the front and back should exactly cancel, if I recall. The only form of drag on a sphere in Stokes flow is viscous, and since viscous drag has nothing to do with the pressure, it shouldn't surprise you that you can't derive it from the pressure distribution.

After all, look at the pressure equation you cited. If you integrate that over ##\theta = [0,\pi]##, you get zero.

boneh3ad said:
If you integrate the pressure around the surface in Stokes flow you should get zero. The pressure on the front and back should exactly cancel, if I recall. The only form of drag on a sphere in Stokes flow is viscous, and since viscous drag has nothing to do with the pressure, it shouldn't surprise you that you can't derive it from the pressure distribution.

Ok - it doesn't surprise me that it's to do with the flow being viscous as opposed to inviscid, as I have used the pressure approach to find say the lift in inviscid flow. So why exactly does pressure give rise to drag and lift in inviscid flow and not viscous flow?

It gives rise to drag in viscous flow, it's just that Stokes flow is a special case. The Reynolds number is so low that the flow remains attached around the sphere the entire way. In general, this is not the case. If you had a higher Reynolds number, you would end up with a wake behind the sphere with a lower pressure than in front of it, thus resulting in pressure drag.

boneh3ad said:

After all, look at the pressure equation you cited. If you integrate that over ##\theta = [0,\pi]##, you get zero.
I think this is incorrect. The pressure drag around sphere for potential flow is zero.
For Stoke's flow you have contribution from friction (2/3) and pressure drag (1/3).
http://user.engineering.uiowa.edu/~fluids1/Creeping_flow_1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Chestermiller

1. What is Stokes flow around a sphere?

Stokes flow around a sphere is a type of fluid flow where the fluid particles move around a stationary sphere in a slow and steady manner. It is named after mathematician George Gabriel Stokes, who first described this phenomenon.

2. What is the significance of studying Stokes flow around a sphere?

Studying Stokes flow around a sphere is important in understanding how fluids behave in the presence of an obstacle. It can also provide insights into the behavior of real-world fluids, such as air and water, in various applications.

3. What are the assumptions made in the mathematical model of Stokes flow around a sphere?

The mathematical model of Stokes flow around a sphere assumes that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, and the fluid has a low Reynolds number (i.e. the fluid is viscous and the flow is slow).

4. How is Stokes flow around a sphere different from other types of fluid flow?

Stokes flow around a sphere is different from other types of fluid flow due to the low Reynolds number, which means that the fluid particles move in a smooth and orderly manner without turbulence. This is in contrast to high Reynolds number flows, where turbulence is present.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stokes flow around a sphere?

Stokes flow around a sphere has applications in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and biofluids. For example, it can be used to model the flow of blood cells in the human body, the movement of particles in a liquid suspension, or the behavior of particles in a fluid-filled container.