Election Opinion Poll Preferences: What's Possible for (a,b,c)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of time management and setting priorities in order to achieve goals and balance work and personal life. It also touched upon the benefits of delegating tasks and saying no to avoid burnout. The speakers agreed that it is crucial to have a clear understanding of one's values and priorities in order to effectively manage time and make the most of it.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Three candidates A, B, C are contesting an election. In an opinion poll fraction $a$ of voters prefer A to B, fraction $b$ prefer B to C and fraction $c$ prefer C to A. then which of the following preferences are impossible for $(a,b,c)$?

1. (0.51,0.51,0.51)
2. (0.61,0.71,0.71)
3. (0.68,0.68,0.68)
4. (0.49,0.49,0.49)
--------------------

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem :(

Solution (from Stackexchange):
There are six possible preference orders for the candidates:

$d$: A>B>C
$e$: A>C>B
$f$: B>A>C
$g$: B>C>A
$h$: C>A>B
$i$: C>B>A

From this, $a = d + e + f$, $b = f + g + i$, and $c = e + h + i$.

$a + b +c = d + 2e + 2f + g + h + 2i \le 2(d + e + f + g + h + i) = 2(\text{# of voters})$.

In scenario (3), $a + b + c = 204\%$, which is impossible.

Related to Election Opinion Poll Preferences: What's Possible for (a,b,c)?

1. What is an election opinion poll?

An election opinion poll is a survey conducted to gather data on the preferences and opinions of voters for a particular election. It is used to predict the outcome of an election and understand the sentiment of the electorate.

2. How are election opinion polls conducted?

Election opinion polls are typically conducted through telephone interviews, online surveys, or in-person interviews. A sample group of voters is selected and asked a series of questions about their voting preferences and opinions on various issues related to the election.

3. What is the margin of error in election opinion polls?

The margin of error in election opinion polls refers to the degree of uncertainty in the results due to the sample size and potential biases in the sample group. It is usually expressed as a percentage and is used to determine the accuracy of the poll results.

4. How do election opinion polls influence the outcome of an election?

Election opinion polls can influence the outcome of an election by shaping public perception and potentially influencing voter behavior. Candidates may also use the results of polls to adjust their campaign strategies and target specific demographics.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of election opinion polls?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of election opinion polls, including the sample size and selection, the wording of the questions, and potential biases in the sample group. Additionally, unforeseen events or changes in public opinion can also impact the accuracy of the poll results.