1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric and magnetic fields with electron

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    at time t1, an electron is sent along the positive direction of an x axis, through both an electric field E and a magnetic field B, with E directed parallel to the y axis. Figure 28-34 gives the y component Fnet, y of the net force of the electron due to the two fields, as a function of the electron's speed v at time t1. the x and z components of the net force are zero at t1. Assuming Bx=0, find the magnitude E and B in unit-vector notion.

the graph has the y axis set as the net force in the y direction and the x axis as the velocity of the electron. the y axis goes from -2 through 2 and the x axis goes from 0 to 100. the x axis is zero at -2 on the y axis, and 100 at 2 on the y axis. the graph is a straight line through those two points.

2. Relevant equations
    im not really sure

3. The attempt at a solution

to be honest i have no idea where to start on this one, any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    I think I'm in your class. I don't know if this is right but I think I have the idea.

Ok, becuase B is always perpendicular to v and E, B should be pointing in the page in the k direction. The formla you should use is Fnet=q(E+VxB) E,V,B are vectors. Becuase V and B are parallel their cross product is vB so now Fnet=q(E+vB). Your vectors will be stright lines when Fnet=0 so 0=q(E+vB). Obviously the q goes away and you are left with B=E/v, where E is the only vector. From here it gets a little trick. You have to use the KE formula for velocity. This is as far as I have gotten becuase you have to use voltage in the KE formula and I can't find a relation in the problem to get velocity for anything. If you figure the rest out could you post it so I can finish? I couldn't find the problm in the soultions manual unless it is number 7. 7 doesn't have a part b and it doesn't tell you how to find E. It uses V/m to find E, and again I have to clue to to find V.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?