Electric Charge Problem - Book error?

In summary, the problem deals with four particles forming a square, with two particles having a charge of q and the other two having a charge of Q. The question asks for the ratio of Q/q, if the net force on particles 1 and 3 is zero. The correct answer is -2√2, which can be obtained by resolving either the Fx or Fy component for particle 1. However, resolving for particle 3 consistently gives a different answer of -1/2√2. The question remains if it is possible to obtain the correct answer by resolving the components for both particles 1 and 3.
PFStudent
Hit enter a bit too fast for the title.

TITLE: Electric Charge Problem - Book Error?

Homework Statement

6. In Fig. 21-22, four particles form a square. The charges are [itex]q_{1} = q_{4} = Q[/itex] and [itex]q_{2} = q_{3} = q[/itex].
(a) What is [itex]Q/q[/itex] if the net electrostatic force on particles 1 and 3 is zero?
(b) Is there any value of [itex]q[/itex] that makes the net electrostatic force on each of the four particles zero? Explain.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3158/61me0.png

Homework Equations

[tex]
\displaystyle{\left|\vec{F}_{12}\right| = \frac{k \left|q_{1}\right|\left|q_{2}\right|}{r_{12}^2}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've actually worked through this already however, I am in conflict with how the problem is stated.

Essentially all one has to do for part (a) is find Q/q, and the problem already states that the net forces on particles 1 and 3 are zero. Therefore, from the picture several conclusions can be made. In order for the net forces on particles 1 and 3 to be zero, charges Q and q must be unlike-sign.

Next, because the problem states that the net force for particles 1 and 3 is zero, either particle can be used to find Q/q.

Continuing on, therefore choosing particle three for example, we need to break the forces acting on three due to the other three particles into components (Fx and Fy).

From here the net force on three is zero, and therefore demands Fx and Fy be zero aswell.

Now, either approach to summing up the components for net: Fx or Fy will lead to one of the summed components being zero.

Choosing Fy, we arrive at N.III.L.

[tex]
\left|\vec{F}_{31}\right| = \frac{\left|\vec{F}_{32}\right|}{\sqrt{2}}}
[/tex]

Now from here its simple algebra.

[tex]
\displaytype{\frac{\left|Q\right|}{\left|q\right|}} = \displaytype{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}}
[/tex]

and noting that Q and q must be unlike-sign, the above reduces to

[tex]
\displaytype{\frac{Q}{q}} = \displaytype{\frac{-1}{2\sqrt{2}}}
[/tex]

However, the correct answer (from the solutions manual (SM)) is

[tex]
\displaytype{\frac{Q}{q}} = \displaytype{-2\sqrt{2}}
[/tex]

The SM shows arrives at this solution through resolving the Fx components for the net force on particle 1.

So here is the problem, I can get the same answer ([itex]\displaytype{\frac{Q}{q}} = \displaytype{-2\sqrt{2}}[/itex]) if I resolve either component (Fx or Fy) for particle 1.

However, I do not get the same answer when I resolve the components (either Fx or Fy) for particle 3.

I consistently get [itex]\displaytype{\frac{Q}{q}} = \displaytype{\frac{-1}{2\sqrt{2}}}[/itex] for particle 3.

Also, I will try resolving the net Fx component on particle 3 and see what I get.

SO, technically for this problem shouldn't I be able to get the same answer (Q/q), through all four ways; that is resolving the two components (Fx and Fy) for each particle (1 and 3)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. You need to show some of your own work in order for us to help you. The relevant equation that you list is a good start. Now draw the square and start drawing the forces. Are you sure you've listed all the particles? Seems like it would be hard to get the forces to cancel with just 4 particles at the vertices of a square...

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze and review all aspects of a problem before coming to a conclusion. In this case, it seems there may be a discrepancy in the solution provided by the textbook. It is possible that there may be a typo or error in the given solution, or there may be a misunderstanding of the problem. It is important to carefully review the problem and double check all calculations to ensure accuracy. If there is still confusion, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or professor for clarification. It is also important to note that there may be multiple approaches to solving a problem, so it is possible that different methods may yield different answers. Ultimately, the important thing is to understand the underlying principles and concepts involved in the problem and to be able to apply them effectively.

1. What is an "Electric Charge Problem" in a book?

An "Electric Charge Problem" in a book refers to a question or exercise that involves calculating the electric charge of an object or system. This can include determining the magnitude and direction of the charge, as well as understanding the principles and laws related to electric charge.

2. How do I know if there is an error in a book's electric charge problem?

An error in a book's electric charge problem can be identified by carefully reviewing the question and comparing it to known principles and formulas. If the answer obtained through the given solution method does not match with the correct answer or contradicts established laws, there may be an error.

3. What should I do if I find an error in a book's electric charge problem?

If you find an error in a book's electric charge problem, you can contact the publisher or author to inform them of the mistake. It is also helpful to provide a detailed explanation of the error and suggest a correction or alternative solution.

4. Are errors in electric charge problems common in books?

Errors in electric charge problems can occur in books, but they are not necessarily common. Publishers and authors typically have strict review processes in place to catch and correct any mistakes before publication. However, human error is always a possibility, so it is important to carefully check for errors when solving problems.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving electric charge problems in a book?

To avoid making mistakes when solving electric charge problems in a book, it is important to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to solve it. Make sure to use the correct formulas and units, and double-check your calculations. It can also be helpful to compare your answer to the given solution in the book or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.