Electric Current and Resistance

In summary, there is a conversation about a problem involving current density across a cylindrical conductor and two different formulas are discussed: ##J=α(r−r^2/R)## and ##J=ar(1-\frac{1}{R})##. Both formulas seem to have dimensional errors and do not decrease linearly with r. The correct formula may be ##J=a(1-\frac{r}{R})##.
zoyash
Homework Statement
The current density across a cylindrical conductor of radius R varies according to the

equation J=α(r−r2/R), where r is the distance from the axis. Thus the current density is a

maximum J0 at the axis r=0 and decreases linearly to zero at the surface r=R in which α is a constant.

What is the current through the outer portion of the wire between radial distance R/3

and R. Take R=2mm and α=2*105 A/m2
Relevant Equations
J=α(r−r2/R)
I have attached my solution to this problem but I think I got the wrong answer.

Attachments

• math-20200507.png
    math-20200507.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 101
Physics news on Phys.org
I read your post and the attached attempt at the solution but I have problem understanding which exactly is the formula for the current density. Can you write it in Latex? is it $$J(r)=\alpha r (1-\frac{r}{R})$$

Though in the solution it seems that you use as current density the formula below
$$J(r)=ar(1-\frac{1}{R})$$

I have to say that both formulas seem dimensionally incorrect since the units of ##\alpha## are given as A/m^2

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
zoyash said:
Homework Statement:: The current density across a cylindrical conductor of radius R varies according to the

equation ## J=α(r−r^2/R) ## , where r is the distance from the axis. Thus the current density is a maximum J0 at the axis r=0 and decreases linearly to zero at the surface r=R in which α is a constant.
Your formula says J=0 at r=0. I think you may have meant ## J =J_0
\alpha (R - r^2/R) ##. Furthermore, in order for J to decrease linearly with r the formula would have to be something like ## J = J_0 \alpha(R-r). ## Try again.

Delta2 said:
in the solution it seems that you use as current density the formula below
$$J(r)=ar(1-\frac{1}{R})$$

I have to say that both formulas seem dimensionally incorrect since the units of ##\alpha## are given as A/m^2
Well, @zoyash started with $$J(r)=aR(1-\frac{1}{R})$$
But then switched to $$J(r)=ar(1-\frac{1}{R})$$
Neither makes sense dimensionally and neither decreases linearly with r. Probably should be $$J(r)=a(1-\frac{r}{R})$$

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi and Delta2

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conducting material. It is typically measured in units of amperes (A).

What is the relationship between voltage and current?

Voltage is the driving force that causes electric current to flow. The relationship between voltage and current is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.

What factors affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material is affected by its physical properties, such as length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. It is also dependent on the material's conductivity and the presence of any impurities or defects.

How is resistance measured?

Resistance is measured using a device called a multimeter, which applies a known voltage to a material and measures the resulting current. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's Law.

What are some real-life applications of electric current and resistance?

Electric current and resistance are essential in many everyday devices, such as light bulbs, toasters, and computers. They are also crucial in power transmission and distribution systems, as well as in the design of electronic circuits and devices.