Electric Dipole in a Magnetic Field: Conservation of energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sparkle123
Messages
172
Reaction score
0
Please help me with the attached question.

I don't understand how you get from the first line to the second line in (2). (I'm not too familiar with working with cross products and vectors).

Also, I don't know how you get (5) from (1) and (2).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)
 
Attachments
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 519
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    7.1 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
(2) the equality Comes from [itex]\vec{v}_{cm} = \dfrac{1}{2}(\vec{v}_1+\vec{v}_2)[/itex]
(5) Try to wite down the full expression [itex]E = \dfrac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2+\dfrac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/itex]
Using (1) and (2)
And take the time derivitative(here dE/dt is indicated with a small dot above). Then you would see that the energy is conserved.