1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Dipole Moment and electric field

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two dipoles are oriented as shown in the diagram below. Each dipole consists of two charges +q and -q, held apart by a rod of length s, and the center of each dipole is a distance d from location A. If q = 6 nC, s = 1 mm, and d = 6 cm, what is the electric field at location A?

14-074-two_dipoles_A.jpg

2. Relevant equations

E(axis) = qk x (r-s/2)^2 - (r+s/2)^2)^-1

E(axis) = 2qks/d^3 when d>>s

k=8.99E9 N^2 m / C^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since d>>s, the x-axis dipole's angle can be considered linear, and thus, the E-field for the x component is 0.

For the y-axis dipole, d>>s allows us to use the second equation, E(axis) = 2qks/d^3.

E = 2 (8.99E9) (6E-9) (0.001) / (0.06^3) = 500.

My answer would be <0,500,0>. I got the x and z components correct, but the y component is not. Why is that? Did I get the x component right for the wrong reasons or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The y component of the electric field arising from the x-axis dipole is not 0.

ehild

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    Oh, whoops. You're right.

With the Y component for the x-axis, it would be E(y) = kqs/y^3 = (8.99E9 * 6E-9 * 0.001) / (0.06^3) = 250.

250 + 500 = 750; <0,750,0>

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook