Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric engine for car vs Electric Engine for Drone

1. Mar 23, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    I am trying to find out if there are any differences between how the Electric engine for car works vs how an Electric Engine for Drone works.
    I am sure the both consist of an Ignition coil, stator and rotor. However I have not been able to find the any schematics for a drones electric engine. If anyone has any recommendations on where to look or can provide the information themselves. Please let me know.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It probably depends on the car, but the Tesla S uses 3 phase AC motors and drones use DC motors. Schematics of actual products may not be easy to come by though -- what exactly are you wanting to know/do?

4. Mar 23, 2016 #3
    I am wanting to know whether the Electric engine of the drone uses the same aspects as the car, such as ignition coil, stator and rotor and other key magnetic components.

5. Mar 23, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Both contain a stator and rotor, but they are different from each other...and I don't know what an "ignition coil" is, but I don't think it is a part of either. Have you looked at articles describing the parts of these motors?

6. Mar 23, 2016 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The electric engines work on the same principles in both cases. How big is the drone ?
    A drone engine will be more expensive and be designed for best power to weight ratio.
    The car engine will have a lower power to weight ratio and be designed for high efficiency and for efficient regenerative breaking.
    An ignition coil is used with a distributor and spark plugs in an internal combustion, gasoline engine.

7. Mar 24, 2016 #6
    Well that is upsetting about the ignition coil =/, idk where i read that they were used in electric engines. Im going to continue to do more research. Thank you guys.

8. Mar 24, 2016 #7

berkeman

Maybe you were reading about Hybrid cars at the time.

9. Mar 24, 2016 #8
    If your talking about modern quad copter drone motors, and the like, just google" Brushless D/C motor diagram"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted