1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field and Electric Potential

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    Hey there, im new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm stuck on:

The electric potential is given at the four corners of a 1 cm square: V1 = 1.6 V, V2 = 12.4 V, V3 = 1.6 V, V4 = -9.2 V. What is the magnitude of the electric field at the centre of the square?

This seems like it should be easy, but for some reason I just can't get it.

Ok, I know that E=deltaV/r and V=kq/r and E= kq/r^2
    I've tried finding the differences in the voltage, V1-v2, v2-v3, v3-v4 and v4-v1. then i could find the electric field at that point. Since the voltages arent the same, then the electric field at the center isnt zero.

I'm just really stuck and think that I'm making it harder than it really is.

I also know that the sum of the potential differences around a closed path are equal to zero, but im not sure if this would help me. Help?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted