Electric Field and Electric Potential

In summary, the problem asks to find the strength of the electric field at the midpoint between two point charges, q1=5.78nC and q2=-5.78nC, separated by a distance of 68cm. The relevant equations are Kq1q2/r^2=F and \epsilon=F/q. The student attempted to solve the problem using a two step equation but obtained a large answer. They were advised to convert the distance to meters and to consider the direction of the electric field. The student has not provided their work or specific numbers used.
stonecoldgen

Homework Statement

Find the strength of the electric field midway between two point charges, q1=5.78nC and q2=-5.78nC separated by 68cm.

Homework Equations

Kq1q2/r2=F

[itex]\epsilon[/itex]=F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I just tried the problem as a two step equation but it's giving me a huge answer. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
stonecoldgen said:

Homework Statement

Find the strength of the electric field midway between two point charges, q1=5.78nC and q2=-5.78nC separated by 68cm.

Homework Equations

Kq1q2/r2=F

[itex]\epsilon[/itex]=F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I just tried the problem as a two step equation but it's giving me a huge answer. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Now how could anyone tell you what you are doing wrong if you don't show your work?

I plugged the numbers on the first equation, which gave me the force.

Then plugged force into the second equation and divided by q, but it's giving me a huge huge number.

Did you convert the 68cm to m?

stonecoldgen said:
I plugged the numbers on the first equation, which gave me the force.

Then plugged force into the second equation and divided by q, but it's giving me a huge huge number.

The magnitude of the electric field due to a charge q is E=Kq/r^2. Remember it also has a direction you need to find. I don't know how you could find a force. What value are you using for the charge at the midpoint? And I'll say this once more, "huge huge number" doesn't mean anything informative. Show your numbers. What you put in, what formulas you put it into and what you got.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged object where other charged objects will experience a force. This force is either attractive or repulsive, depending on the type of charge the objects possess.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged object. When a charged object is placed in space, it will exert a force on other charged objects in its vicinity, thus creating an electric field. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charged object.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work that is needed to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is a measure of the potential energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field.

4. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. The electric field points in the direction of decreasing electric potential. In other words, the electric field will push a positive charge towards areas of lower electric potential and pull it towards areas of higher electric potential.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. It depends on the reference point or location chosen to measure the potential. If the reference point is chosen to be at an infinite distance from a negatively charged object, then the electric potential near the object will be negative. However, if the reference point is chosen to be at an infinite distance from a positively charged object, then the electric potential near the object will be positive.