1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field and Potential difference

1. Jul 24, 2015 #1
    Hey guys, I have a problem that I really have no idea what to do.

It was discussed in class that we do not need to know how to integrate or use the dot product-- any of the complex stuff.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric field in a given region in space is given by (3 i - 1 j) x 10^5 N/C. Find the potential difference between points a (3, 1) and b (7, -1). The coordinates are in mm

2. Relevant equations

All I have is V =kq/r but I'm not sure what to do with this

I also know that V=-E*r = kq/r2 - kq/r1 because the field is not uniform.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew out a chart and plotted a and b and the marked out where the unit vectors ultimately lead to..
    I don't actually know what the question is asking and where to start.

THanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not applicable to your problem. It is the potential from a point charge q and you are dealing with a homogeneous electric field.
    The field you have been given is uniform. Also, there are not charges involved in this problem.

4. Jul 24, 2015 #3
    Ok so charges aren't involved.
    And if the field is uniform I would use: (Delta)V=-E*(delta)r
    But how do i get the field E with all these unit vectors?
    Would I just plug in the differences of x and y coordinates of point a and b into (3 i - 1 j) x 10^5 N/C to find the field?

5. Jul 24, 2015 #4
    The true relation between ##V## and ##E## should be ##\Delta V=-\int E\cdot dl.## In this case, for ##E## is a constant vector, as you said, ##\Delta V = -E\cdot r.##
    So you have to find out the displacement between the two points, of course it should be the vector parallel to the electric field ##E.##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted