1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field at centre of a hollow hemisphere shell.

1. Jan 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    aPU0AKi.png

2. Relevant equations
    CQssp2k.png
    N5fF11a.png '

3. The attempt at a solution

Please excuse the poor writing. I believe it should be legible enough, but if you have any questions, i'll clarify or rewrite it.

RdtZpbc.png

Please excuse the poor writing. I believe it should be legible enough, but if you have any questions, i'll clarify or rewrite it.

My steps for solving this was filling in the values into the formula given. Using a square differential element on the surface of the sphere, as well as spherical co-ordinates.

i'm sure i just have a small error somewhere in the math, but i'm not too sure where... i've redone the question 3 times.

These two sources, among others, show that my answer is wrong. Though I did my question differently, so i cant be sure where i went wrong.

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~alexei-grigoriev/index_files/Homework2_solutions.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Looks like you treated the unit vector ##\hat{r}## as a constant vector when you pulled it out of the double integral. Does the direction of ##\hat{r}## vary as you integrate over the surface? If so, you cannot treat it as a constant vector.

4. Jan 22, 2017 #3
    How would I treat the vector? My apologies. Calculus is not my strong suit.

5. Jan 22, 2017 #4
    How would I go about doing that? Calculus is not my stop suit. And also, thanks for the help.

6. Jan 22, 2017 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use symmetry to see which direction the net E field will point. Then just work with the component of E that is in that direction. (Project your integrand into that direction.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted