Electric field between two wires and gauss law

In summary, Gauss' Law states that an electric field from a charged wire decays with 1/r where r is the distance from the center of the wire.
frankness
I'm not entirely sure how to word this without a diagram, but please bare with me!

In an ideal case, the charge on a wire is evenly distributed.
According to Gauss' Law, an electric field from a charged wire decays with 1/r
where r is the distance from the centre of the wire.

Say two wires, with equal and opposite charge and a large radius, R, are placed very close together.
At the closest points, the electric field will appear as if between parallel plates.
When close together, the charge distribution will not be even around the circumference of the wire. How would one go about calculating the charge distribution?

Ultimately looking towards calculating the x component of the electric field in the z direction, ie moving through the gap between the wires.

Any help on this would be much appreciated, even just to be pointed in the direction of a relevant book or website.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, frankness. Do you have a textbook that covers electrostatics? This type of situation is usually covered in the sections that discuss how to calculate capacitance for different geometries (like a parallel-wire transmission line, which is the situation you are asking about).

To find something online for you, I did a Google Images search on electric field capacitance of parallel wire transmission line, and got some good hits. Here's the hit list:

http://images.google.com/images?svn...lel+wire+transmission+line&btnG=Search+Images

And here's a good tutorial from MIT:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...18&gbv=2&ndsp=18&svnum=10&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N

Hope that helps. Feel free to post follow-up questions after you have gone through the materials some.

Thanks that MIT link is excellent.
I only have a basic E&M textbook and have been finding it hard to get to the library outside of my work hours.

I'll try working through it over the next few days and see how I get on.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric charges on each other. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field between two wires calculated?

The electric field between two wires can be calculated using the Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium.

3. What is the significance of the electric field between two wires?

The electric field between two wires can help us understand the behavior of electric charges and their interactions with each other. It is also used in various applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and devices.

4. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two wires?

The strength of the electric field between two wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the magnitude of the charges on the wires, and the permittivity of the medium between the wires.

5. How does the electric field between two wires change if the wires are parallel or perpendicular?

If the wires are parallel, the electric field between them will be constant along the length of the wires. If the wires are perpendicular, the electric field will vary along the length of the wires, with the strongest field being at the closest point between the wires.