1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field calculation question

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You're 1.5m from a charge distribution whose size is much less than 1m. You measure an electric field strength of 282 N/C. You move to a distance of 2.0m, and the field strength becomes 119 N/C. What is the net charge of the distribution?
    Hint: Don't try to calculate the charge. Determine instead how the field decreases with distance, and from that infer the charge.

2. Relevant equations
    E = k*Q/r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    E2-E1=k*Q(1/r22-1/r12)
    From this I got Q = 9.3E-8...however when I plug this into the relevant equation I don't get the right answers for the first or second charge distance pair. Also shouldn't the field strengths be different? I thought that the change of electric field was inversely proportional to the change in distance...so if you increase the distance by a factor of 1.33 shouldn't the field drop by a factor of 1.77? Shouldn't this give a value of 159 for the second electric field value?

Any help or guidance is appreciated! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You completely ignored the hint "Determine instead how the field decreases with distance, and from that infer the charge." Take the ratio E1/E2. Is it equal to the ratio r22/r12?

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    E1=282 N/C r1=1.5 m
    E2=119 N/C r2=2m

E1/E2 = 282/119 = 2.4
    r22/r12 = 4/2.25 = 1.78
    Shouldn't these two values be equal? That's what I don't understand about the question...or maybe I'm calculating something wrong?

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They would be equal if you have just one charge Q. Obviously, that's not what you have. This means that the charge distribution does not give rise to a monopole field. If that's not the case, what else could it be?

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might find my reply in this thread useful...

P.S. hoycey wouldn't happen to be another account of yours would it?

7. Oct 5, 2009 #6
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure what a multipole expansion is, but I'm assuming that since we're far away the term that's going to dominate is the distance, right?

Also I found that the correct ratio here is E1/E2 = d23/d13...but I'm not sure how to incorporate that into the question...

(And no, I only have one account on this website)

8. Oct 5, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The multipole expansion, is basically a Taylor expansion of the field or potential in powers of [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex] (where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the origin)....

The lowest order term in the expansion corresponds to the monopole moment, and it is proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex] (just like the field of a point charge!). The second lowest order term is the dipole term, and it is proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{r^3}[/itex] (just like the field of an ideal dipole!). The next term in the expansion is the quadrapole term (proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{r^4}[/itex])...and so on.

At "large" distances (which means small 1/r), the lowest order non-zero terms will dominate (1/r^4 will be much smaller than 1/r^3 etc.)

You really haven't learned about dipole moments yet?

9. Oct 5, 2009 #8
    Hmm, so because this electric field decreases with the same proportionality as a dipole...can I assume that like a dipole the net charge over the distribution is zero?

10. Oct 5, 2009 #9

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can. If there were a monopole term too, it will would dominate the dipole term and the spatial dependence of the electric field would not be what it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook