1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field - Charged Rod Question

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charged rod with uniform charge per length and total charge Q is placed along the z-axis with one end at the origin. The rod is located on the positive z-axis according the the diagram accompanying the problem (not shown). Find the electric field E(x,0,0) at any point along the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations
    1) I have been given the integral x dx / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2.
    2) I have been given a second integral dx / (x^2 + a^2)^3/2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I know I need to use those two integrals, I solved them first:

1) = - 1 / square root of (x^2 + a^2)
    2) = x / a * square root of (x^2 + a^2)

I realize that the total field will be the vector sum of all the segments of the rod (and so I imagine that even though I'm solving for only the x component that it has more than just that). I believe that I need to use the equation E = ke integral of dq / r^2 unit vector r. In this, r is the distance from the charge element to a point and the unit vector r is directed "from the element toward the point." I've played around with this a bit, but I'm at a loss. I realize that I will need to use the two integrals (otherwise they wouldn't have been given in the problem), but I'm not sure where exactly I need to utilize them. I'm not sure where to go with the equation for E that I expect to need, either. Any help would be very much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2
    You take a small element dz at a distance z from the origin whose charge is [tex]dq=\lambda dz[/tex].
    Then the electric field at a distance x on the x axis is [tex]dE(x)=\frac{Kdq}{(x^2+z^2)}[/tex]. Integrate this from 0 to [tex]\frac{Q}{\lambda}[/tex] and that I think is your answer. Here, [tex]\lambda[/tex] is charge per unit length.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?