• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Electric Field (conceptual help)

• Thread starter dimpledur
  • Start date

Homework Statement

My question is concerned with the electric field. I will provide you with the information I am given. First, here is the diagram:
Untitled-2.png

The question states that it takes positive work to move a positive particle from point A outward to point G. Therefore, I have concluded that the electric field is directed towards the center conductor, which is the black dot. The question states that there are five energy curves, where one includes the very outer edge where point G is located.

Additionally, the potential difference between equipotential curves is 0.3J/C.

My question to you is do you considerthe black dot in the middle to be the threshold? For example, if you move from the center conductor to the first energy contour, do you increase potential energy by 0.3 J/C, or does it not increase yet until it move from the very first energy contour to the second?

My reason for asking is because the outer edge of the drawing has an energy contour, so it is easy to determine the potential difference between other contours, but I cant seem to figure out the voltage difference between the very outer edge to the center conductor (black dot). The question specifically states there are only five energy contours, therefore the black dot is not considered a contour... Help?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Sorry, I meant from A->G.

My question has been asnwered. This can be locked.

Last edited: