Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Field Due to Infinite Line Charge

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Compute the electric field due to an infinite line charge by integrating the expression obtained from the inverse square law."

2. Relevant equations

I think that the equation required is:

[itex]E(\bold{r}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{(\bold{r} - \bold{r}') \sigma}{|\bold{r} - \bold{r}'|^3} dx[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I don't know what to put in the above integral for r and r', or even if the above integral is even right...

Thanks for any help :) .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    Your equation looks correct.

Build a coordinate system. Include the wire in some convenient place, like along the x-axis. The wire will extend to plus and minus infinite x. As presented, the integral already assumes the wire lies parallel to the x-axis.

r is a displacement vector that varies with x, and locates points within the wire.

r' is a displacement vector of the point for which we wish to calculate the electric field. It is a constant with respect to the variable of integration, x.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3

kreil

Gold Member

im working on the same problem. it appears that if infinite limits of integration are used the expression blows up, is it better to set the limits from 0-> L and then take the limit as L goes to infinity?

5. Jan 29, 2010 #4
    Mmm, I'm getting an integral of something similar to 1/x² between -infinity and infinity, that doesn't look good...

6. Jan 29, 2010 #5

kreil

Gold Member

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}}= \left( \frac{x}{y^2 \sqrt{y^2+x^2}} \right) |_{-\infty}^{+\infty}[/tex]

The main observation you need to make to solve this is:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x}{y^2 \sqrt{y^2+x^2}} = \frac{1}{y^2}[/tex]

Since x is a first order variable on both the numerator and denominator.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook