Electric field, force on charge

In summary, the problem involves finding the force affecting a charge q3 at a distance from two other charges, q1 and q2. The formula used is F=E3*q3, where E3 is the electric field at the location of q3, which is found using the equation E=q/4*pi*electric const*r^2. However, the triangle formed by the three charges is not right-angled, making it impossible to use the Pythagorean theorem. After some attempts, the correct value of E3 is found, resulting in the correct answer.
Patrickas

Homework Statement

q1 = 10^-9 C
q2 =16*10^-9 C
Distance between q1 and q2 is 7*10^-3m
What force will affect a q3=2*10^-9 charge, which is 3*10^-3m from the q1 and 4*10^-3m from q2?

Homework Equations

So the triangle is not right angled which means i can't use the pitagorean theorem.
ok so i think i nede to use E=q/4*pi*electric const*r^2
And when i find the e3 i would use F=E3q3

The Attempt at a Solution

So i find the E1=10^7C/C and E2=0.9*10^7N/C then i get stuck at trying to get the E3

I also tried http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html multiple point charges got the e3 but when put into F=E3*q3 i get the 3.6*10-2 where the answer is 2*10^-3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think E1 should be 10^6 N/C .. what value of E3 you used?

lol it wasnt a triangle. i got it right now

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds any electrically charged object or particle. It describes the force that a charged object would experience at any given point in space.

How is an electric field created?

Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles, such as electrons or protons. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude and distance of the charges.

What is the force on a charge in an electric field?

The force on a charge in an electric field is the product of the charge and the strength of the electric field at that point. This force can either attract or repel the charge depending on the direction of the electric field and the charge's polarity.

How do you calculate the electric field at a point?

The electric field at a point can be calculated by dividing the force on a test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This is known as Coulomb's law and is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This represents the force per unit charge that a charged object would experience in an electric field.