1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field/Gauss' law of cylinder and shell

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a1physicsmt8.png

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss' Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    It may be that I'm sick with a cold and can't think straight, but I"m not seeing any way to approach this problem using Gauss' law. I tried using a few prederived formulas, but like for the first part of this 5 part problem, I need the charge/length in order to find out E. I don't have that value, and I did try using rho as lambda, and got it wrong. I also have to find the charge at values inbetween the cylinder and the shell, outside the shell, and on the inner shell.

Some help would be nice, as I can't see how to do this by hand right now.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2
    Consider a Gaussian cylinder with radius of 2 cm. This cylinder is within the green cylindrical charge distribution. Gauss's Law is

[tex]\oint_{S}\vec{E}\cdot\vec{dA}=\frac{1}{\epsilon_{0}}\int_{V}\rho dV[/tex]

Use cylindrical coordinates, the given charge density, and the fact that the electric field is parallel to your Gaussian surface's normal vector to solve this.

Note that S is the surface area of your Gaussian cylinder and V is the volume within it.

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    Using a cylindrical Gaussian surface will give E in terms of charge/unit length. So, let the Gaussian surface be

[tex]2\pi\mbox{rl}[/tex]

where l is a unit length. Then the charged enclosed per unit length within this surface is the volume within the surface times the charge density for r less than the radius of the inner conductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?