1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field in insulating slab

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    A large, thin, insulating slab [itex]2[/itex] m x [itex]2[/itex] m x [itex]5[/itex] mm has a charge of [itex]2 [/itex] x [itex] 10^{-10}[/itex] C distributed uniformly throughout its volume. determine the electric field at observation point P, which is located within the slab, beneath its centre, [itex]0.5[/itex] mm from the top face.

udI1k.png

I started off by making two Gaussian surfaces in the shape of cylinders. The first ranges from the bottom of the slab to point P. The second ranges from point P to the top of the slab. I then calculated the net electric field on point P due to the electric fields traveling out of the ends of the two Gaussian surfaces, using Gauss' Law.

[itex]E = E_{1} - E_{2} = \frac{Q_{1}}{2A\epsilon_{o}} - \frac{Q_{2}}{2A\epsilon_{o}}[/itex]

where [itex]E[/itex] is the net electric field acting on point P, [itex]E_{1}[/itex] is the electric field from the first Gaussian surface, and [itex]E_{2}[/itex] is the electric field from the second Gaussian surface.

The charge density is as follows:

[itex]\rho = Q/V = 2\cdot 10^{-10}/(2\cdot2\cdot0.005) = 1\cdot10^{-8}[/itex]

[itex]Q_{1}=\rho V = \rho A \cdot 0.0045 = 4.5\cdot 10^{-11}A[/itex]

[itex]Q_{2}=\rho V = \rho A \cdot 0.0005 = 5\cdot 10^{-12}A[/itex]

[itex]E = \frac{4.5\cdot 10^{-11}A}{2A\epsilon_{o}} - \frac{5\cdot 10^{-12}A}{2A\epsilon_{o}}[/itex]

[itex]E = 2.26[/itex] N/C

My final answer is 2.26 N/C. Is my process correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks correct to me. :approve:

Oh, except for one thing. You said, "Gaussian surfaces in the shape of cylinders." I think you meant pillboxes. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted