Electric field inside and outside a sphere (Not Gauss)

In summary, the equation for a disk is modified by changing the distance from the evaluation point to the center of the disk to x-R*cos(theta) and using the cosine rule instead of the Pythagorean theorem due to the superposition of disks. The surface charge density is substituted with the term d(surface charge charge) = rho * R * sin(theta) * d(theta). The factor of 2π is not correct. To approximate a thin slab with a uniform surface charge density, use the formula σ = ρ*d. The thickness of the disk can be found using trigonometry on a right triangle with R dθ as the hypotenuse and R sin θ dθ as the base.
Waxterzz
Find E(r) inside and outside a uniformly charged spherical volume by superposing the electric fields
produced by a collection of uniformly charged disks.

a+b) Given equations, sketch of problem
This is the equation in the handbook for a disk (but in the exercises the z becomes x, without loss of generality)
q8YVppO.png

Vh305nX.png

So by varying theta, he wants you to superpose the disks, to form a solid sphere. The disks are x- R* cos(theta) removed.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1yGPb1u.png

So he changes in the equation for the disk,the nominator z was the distance from the evaluation point to the center of the disk, this was z. This now becomes x-R*cos(theta). The denominator was the distance from the rim of the disk to the evaluation point, this was in the equation just the pythagoras rule, now it varies with theta because you have a superposition of different disks, so the pythagoras rule becomes the cosine rule. I kinda get these alterations.

What I don't get:

But I don't really get how he substitutes the surface charge density with this term with rho in? The term d(surface charge charge) = rho * R * sin (theta) * d(theta)

If anyone wants to clarify this to me, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the solution is just wrong because the last step isn't correct?

Edit:

Looks like the solutions manual from Zangwhil contains errors.

This is from a site I found on the internet (check problem 4d)

https://pa.as.uky.edu/sites/default/files/Phy416G-HWSol4.pdfbut now
dσ = 2πρR sin θdθ

and I still don't know how to do that.

Last edited:
Waxterzz said:
I think the solution is just wrong because the last step isn't correct?
Hello. I don't see a mistake in the solution given in your first post. Can you state more explicitly where you feel a mistake has been made?

This is from a site I found on the internet (check problem 4d)

https://pa.as.uky.edu/sites/default/files/Phy416G-HWSol4.pdf

but now
dσ = 2πρR sin θdθ
I think this is incorrect. The factor of 2π should not be there.

and I still don't know how to do that.
In general, consider a thin slab of material of thickness d that has a uniform volume charge density ρ. If you approximated this by a surface with an "equivalent" uniform surface charge density σ, how would you write σ in terms of ρ and d?
upload_2016-9-24_18-24-49.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For one of the thin disks of the sphere, how would you write the thickness |dx| of the disk in terms of R, θ, and dθ?

TSny said:
Hello. I don't see a mistake in the solution given in your first post. Can you state more explicitly where you feel a mistake has been made?I think this is incorrect. The factor of 2π should not be there.In general, consider a thin slab of material of thickness d that has a uniform volume charge density ρ. If you approximated this by a surface with an "equivalent" uniform surface charge density σ, how would you write σ in terms of ρ and d?
View attachment 106445

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For one of the thin disks of the sphere, how would you write the thickness |dx| of the disk in terms of R, θ, and dθ?

Excuse me sir, for the late reply. I think I didn't understood it first, then forgot about it, now I stumbled across it and still haven't figured it out

ρ . A . d = σ . A
ρ . dx = σ

Is this what you were implying?I don't see how R sin θ dθ equals the thickness of my disk, since R sin θ points in the direction perpendicular to the x-axis.
http://blob:https://imgur.com/7c67520c-b11f-4fb3-9218-afcca75d1bf7
VHdPuUC.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Waxterzz said:
ρ . A . d = σ . A
ρ . dx = σ

Is this what you were implying?
Yes.
I don't see how R sin θ dθ equals the thickness of my disk, since R sin θ points in the direction perpendicular to the x-axis.
http://blob:https://imgur.com/7c67520c-b11f-4fb3-9218-afcca75d1bf7
VHdPuUC.png

See if the following diagram helps. The red line in the right figure indicates the thickness of the disk. Note that the red line is also the base of a small right triangle at the top of the disk where R dθ is the hypotenuse. See if you can find the length of the red line by using trig on the right triangle.
upload_2016-11-23_11-49-17.png

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity. It is represented by a vector with direction and magnitude, and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb.

How is the electric field inside a sphere different from the electric field outside a sphere?

The electric field inside a sphere is constant and directed towards the center of the sphere, while the electric field outside a sphere varies with distance from the center and is directed away from the center.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field inside and outside a sphere?

The strength of the electric field inside a sphere is determined by the charge of the sphere and the distance from the center. The strength of the electric field outside a sphere is affected by the charge of the sphere, the distance from the center, and the surrounding medium.

How does the electric field inside and outside a conducting sphere differ from that of a non-conducting sphere?

A non-conducting sphere has a uniform electric field inside and outside, while a conducting sphere has no electric field inside and a non-uniform electric field outside. This is because the charges on the surface of a conducting sphere redistribute themselves to cancel out the electric field inside.

Can the electric field inside a sphere ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field can be zero at the center of a non-conducting sphere and at any point inside a conducting sphere. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity and can be cancelled out by the contributions of charges at different points.