Electric Field Outside a Solenoid

In summary, a solenoid with a radius of 1.85 cm and 1110 turns per meter has a current that varies with time according to the expression I = 2.50t. To calculate the electric field 5.47 cm from the axis of the solenoid, we can use the equation E = (μ_{0}n/2)(di/dt)(R^{2}/r), where μ_{0} = 4∏x10^{-7}, n = 1110 turns/meter, di/dt = 2.50, R = 0.0185m, and r=0.0547m. After plugging in the values and converting to the correct
sashab

Homework Statement

A solenoid has a radius of 1.85 cm and 1110 turns per meter. Over a certain time interval the current varies with time according to the expression I = 2.50t, where I is in amperes and t is in seconds. Calculate the electric field 5.47 cm from the axis of the solenoid.

Homework Equations

E = (μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]n/2)(di/dt)(R[itex]^{2}[/itex]/r), r>R

Where μ[itex]_{0}[/itex] = 4∏x10[itex]^{-7}[/itex], n = 1110 turns/meter, di/dt = 2.50, R = 0.0185m, r=0.0547m

The Attempt at a Solution

After plugging in all the numbers and putting things in the right units, I got 1.09x10[itex]^{-4}[/itex] V/m, but this is incorrect. If someone could tell me where I went wrong, I would really appreciate it! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found my mistake!

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles or by an external electric field.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged object, such as an electron, which exerts a force on other charged particles in its vicinity.

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire that is often used to create a magnetic field. It is typically made up of many loops of wire, which allows for a stronger magnetic field to be generated.

Is there an electric field outside a solenoid?

Yes, there is an electric field outside a solenoid. When a current is passed through the solenoid, it creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric field in the surrounding space.

How does the electric field outside a solenoid differ from the electric field inside?

The electric field outside a solenoid is weaker and more spread out compared to the electric field inside. This is because the magnetic field inside the solenoid is more concentrated, leading to a stronger induced electric field. Additionally, the shape of the solenoid also affects the distribution of the electric field.