1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field/Plasma Oscillations

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose there is a "slab" of plasma in a gas, and let N be the density of free electrons/unit volume. If an external electric field is applied, all the electrons move upwards a distance of x, which produces a thin sheet of unbalanced negative charge -Nex per unit area at the top of the slab. This also leaves a sheet of unbalanced positive charge +Nex per unit are at the bottom.

i) Calculate the resulting electric field produced by the two sheet charges. In addition, calculate the restoring electric force it applies to a typical electron in the slab. Also show that after the external field is shut of the equation of motion of the electrons can be shown as:

d^2x/dt^2 = -(Ne^2)(x) / m[itex]_{e}[/itex]ε₀

ii) Explain why that after the external electric field is turned off the electrons undergo simple harmonic motion, and determine its frequency.

2. Relevant equations

I believe the electric field produced by an sheet of charge is: E = σ/2ε₀

F = E / q

F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Not exactly sure how to start part i)...

If E = σ/2ε₀, would that mean that E = -Nex/2ε₀ for the top and E = Nex/2ε₀ for the bottom? With the electric forces being F = -Ne^2x/2ε₀ and F = Ne^2x/2ε₀?

---
    Any help is appreciated...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2
    E = σ/ε₀ inbetween two sheets the feilds are added because fields are directed in the same way between the sheets...

then the rest should work out...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook