1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on Three Parallel Electrical Sheets

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider three plane charged sheets, A, B and C. The sheets are parallel with B below A and C below B. On each sheet, there is a surface charge of uniform density:
    -(4/3) * 10^-5 (Call α)
    -(7/3) * 10^-5 (Call β)
    -(3/3) * 10^-5. (Call γ)

(The density given includes charge on both sides of the sheet). What is the magnitude of the electrical force on each sheet, in N/m^2

Answers are 3.2pi, 1.4pi and 1.8pi.

2. Relevant equations
    For an infinite plane, the electrical field strength is:

σ/2ε where ε is 8.85 * 10^-12 and σ is charge density.

Also, Force = Electric Field * Charge

3. The attempt at a solution
    dF = EΩdA or
    dF/dA = EΩ where Ω is the charge density of the plane whose force is being calculated

(Can someone verify if this line of reasoning is correct?):

The electric field for any patch of area on A should be the average of the electric fields above and below. This comes out to simply be the superposition of the electric fields generated by sheets B & C because the electric field generated by A cancel out on both sides.

Therefore, for a small patch of area on A, E:

E = (β+γ)/2ε

Finally:

dF/dA = (β+γ)α/2ε = 8pi

For Sheets B & C:
    dF/dA = (abs(-α+γ))β/2ε = 1.4pi
    dF/dA = (α+β)γ/2ε = 6.6pi

EDIT: So I did a quick test to check something. Apparently if I subtract the two density charge contributions for the electric field for Sheets A & C, I get the right answer but this has only made sense for Sheet B because the electric fields were in opposite directions. For Sheet A, the electric fields are both pointing down towards B & C while for Sheet C, the electric fields are both pointing up towards A & B.

Also, I'm curious as to why the answers have pi in it. All my calculations simply didn't require it. Is there another way to do this?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your solution looks correct. I think pi is used to replace 1/ε with 4pik≈36 pi 109 which makes calculations with hand possible.

ehild

4. Dec 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks. Guess the book was wrong =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook