Electric Field Problem in a Tube

In summary, the alpha particle traveling along the positive x-axis at 1425 m/s enters a cylindrical tube of radius 0.700 m centered on the x-axis. Inside the tube, it experiences a uniform electric field of 5.00x10-4 N/C pointing in the negative y-direction. Using the equations F=ma, d(delta)y=v(int)yt + 1/2at^2, and d(delta)x=v(int)xt, it can be determined that the particle travels a distance of approximately 10.86 meters before hitting the tube wall. The calculations were done with the correct values, but there may have been a mistake in typing them into the conversation.
mburt3

Homework Statement

An alpha particle (a helium nucleus) is traveling along the positive x-axis at 1425 m/s when it enters a cylindrical tube of radius 0.700 m centered on the x-axis. Inside the tube is a uniform electric field of 5.00x10-4 N/C pointing in the negative y-direction. How far does the particle travel before hitting the tube wall? Neglect any gravitational forces. Note: mα = 6.64x10-27 kg; qα = 2e.

Homework Equations

Eq=F
d(delta)y=v(int)yt + 1/2at^2
d(delta)x=v(int)xt

The Attempt at a Solution

(5x10-4)(2)(1.6x10-19) = F = 1.6 x 10-22
F=ma
(1.6 x 10-22)/(6.67 x 10-27) = a = -2.41 x 10-4m/s^2

d(delta)y=v(int)yt + 1/2at^2
-.7= 0 + (.5)(-2.41 x 10-4)(t^2)
t= .007622s

d(delta)x=v(int)xt
d(x)= (1425)(.007622s)= 10.86 m

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I checked my math twice so I guess it must be something with the process that I took. Please let me know if you can help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
(1.6 x 10-22)/(6.67 x 10-27) = a = -2.41 x 10-4m/s^2
Just wondering why it's not -2.41 x 104m/s^2

It is. I just make stupid mistakes. Thanks! Do you see anything else wrong with the calculations? I think I calculated it with the right number I just typed it into here wrong.

I didn't calculate it out. But now that I did it looks ok for the statement of the problem.

I got 10.85m carrying more precision, but that shouldn't be the problem.

Related to Electric Field Problem in a Tube

1. What is an electric field problem in a tube?

An electric field problem in a tube refers to a situation where an electric field is present within a cylindrical tube, usually due to the presence of charged particles or conductors inside the tube. This can lead to various phenomena, such as electric current flow, electromagnetic radiation, and electric potential differences.

2. What are some common causes of electric field problems in a tube?

Electric field problems in a tube can be caused by a variety of factors, including the presence of charged particles or conductors inside the tube, external electric fields, and the movement of charged particles within the tube.

3. How does the shape of a tube affect electric field problems?

The shape of a tube can greatly impact the electric field within it. For example, a longer tube will have a larger electric field compared to a shorter tube with the same amount of charge inside it. Additionally, the presence of bends or curves in the tube can also alter the electric field distribution.

4. How can electric field problems in a tube be solved?

Solving electric field problems in a tube involves using mathematical equations and principles, such as Gauss's law and Coulomb's law, to calculate the electric field strength and direction at different points within the tube. Computer simulations can also be used to model and analyze the electric field in complex situations.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric field problems in a tube?

Electric field problems in a tube have many practical applications, such as in electronic devices like vacuum tubes, cathode ray tubes, and particle accelerators. They are also important in understanding and designing electrical systems, such as power lines and electrical circuits.