1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Question Help! (don't know how to get started)

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two point charges q1 = 8.10×10-5 C and q2 = 3.24×10-4 C are separated by a distance d = 0.10 m. Compute their net electric field E (x) as a function of x for the following positive and negative values of x, taking E to be positive when the vector E points to the right and negative when E points to the left.

Diagram shows 2 charges q1 and q2 (q1 is on the origin, q2 is distance d to the right along the x axis.

a)What is E(-0.100)?
    b)What is E(-0.050)?
    c)What is E(-0.010)?

etc....

2. Relevant equations

E = kQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

no idea where to start this problem. I know how to calculate the electric field but I don't get what it means when it says "as a function of x" (what is x? there is no x on the diagram, just 2 point charges and the distance between them).

If someone could walk me through a, I could do the rest! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

x is just the position along the x-axis, measured from q1 (the origin, where x = 0). For example, charge q2 is at x = d = 0.10 m.

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    i dont get it .. do you use the x in place of the r and does q1 stay at the origin? im really confused on the x concept

5. May 15, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

"x" just represents any point along the x-axis. The positions of the charges remain the same.

If you want the field at x = - 0.100, then you have to figure out the distances from that point to the charges in order to compute the field at that point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook