1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field strength near a metal plate

1. Feb 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A total charge of 21 μC is applied to a thin, 1μm square metal plate 72 cm on a side.

Find the electric field strength near the plate's surface, far from the edges.
    upload_2017-2-8_13-24-16.png

2. Relevant equations
    I think E = kq/r^2, but I really don't know.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am having a hard time figuring out where to start. I know I must find the electric field strength (i.e magnitude), but where do I begin and what do I do to find it. I just know that E = kq1q1/r^2, but there is no second charge so it must be kq1/r^2 correct? Do I use that or something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No responses so far. Pressure's off if you've had your exam by now. Still want to address this one ?

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a simple formula giving the E field near the surface of a charged medium such as a metal plate. Very simple.

5. Feb 9, 2017 #4
    My exam is today, but I managed to figure this one out. First converting the units into the proper units that I wanted to use I figured that for a plane its q/2a^2 and thus I entered to the units in and divided that by epsilon naught. I got 2.3 MN/C

6. Feb 9, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. My personal association is with the term Gaussian pillbox

A comment on the exercise: I miss the words 'uniformly distributed' ; that way good students easily get wrong-footed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted