Electric field strength on particles of various distances

In summary, according to the student, the electric field is maximum near the charges, is dependent on distance, and is not at a zero potential.
chopnhack
There is no math in this one! I just wanted to know if I had the idea correct.

Homework Statement

If I have two positively charged particles at a distance between them that a field is produced between and around them, will test particles that repel away be solely a function of their distance from the charged particles? In other words, is the field strength only dependent on distance from particle?

Where the two fields meet and field lines become uniform, the flux is greatest there. Will the intensity of the field here still be dependent on distance from the charged particles?

Homework Equations

I see a relation between E = kQ/r2 and Φ=EA .

The Attempt at a Solution

Since Φ is dependent on E, which in turn is dependent on size of charge divided by distance squared, I believe that field strength is dependent on distance. Have I got this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear chop&,

It is a bit hard to extract your perception from this essay !
A few notes:
A charged particle generates a field all over the place.
Another charged particle does so too. The fields 'meet' everywhere ! And they simply add up, but:
Electrostatic fields are vector fields. So the field vectors must be added up (as vectors, of course).

For your two identical charges casus the electric field looks like (picture from here)

samecharge.png

and what is shown are the field lines of the total field. Close to a charge the influence of the other charge is relatively small and the field looks like the field from a single charge. In the symmetry plane the horizontal components cancel and in the very center the total field is even zero (not the potential !).

chopnhack said:
I see a relation between E = kQ/r2 and Φ=EA .
You don't say what these are. But they indeed have an E in common.
chopnhack said:
I believe that field strength is dependent on distance.
Yes, you even wrote it out: E = kQ/r2. But you mean something else, perhaps ?

Likes chopnhack
BvU said:
But you mean something else, perhaps ?

I should have included a photo! Thank you BvU, that is exactly what I was looking at ;-)
I guess I just wanted to be sure - when I first looked at this situation, I was sure of the field strength being dependent on distance from the charged particle, but then I started reading about flux and how flux was maximum at 90 degrees and I saw how there were two lines of force passing through the particle at the bottom and though, hmmm... maybe I don't understand the concept as well as I thought I did. So despite the two lines of flux - it is still dependent on distance from particle.

Yes, the center is null because the two charges oppose each other. Interesting to note that the center is not at zero potential - I was curious about that when I was reading! But I guess that makes sense, if you were to introduce a charged particle between the two, a new set of lines of force would rearrange the structure and charged particles would move - isn't that emf?

samecharge.png

1. What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the force that an electric field exerts on a charged particle. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How does electric field strength change with distance?

According to Coulomb's Law, the electric field strength decreases as the distance from a charged particle increases. This means that particles farther away from the source will experience a weaker electric field than particles closer to the source.

3. What factors affect the electric field strength on particles?

The electric field strength on particles is affected by the magnitude of the source charge, the distance from the source charge, and the medium in which the particles are located. Additionally, the presence of other charges and objects in the vicinity can also influence the electric field strength.

4. How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the source charge, and r is the distance from the source charge. This formula applies to point charges and can be used to determine the electric field strength at any given distance.

5. What are some real-world applications of varying electric field strength on particles?

Electric field strength plays a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as capacitors, batteries, and electric motors. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in fields created by power lines, lightning, and other sources of electricity. Additionally, electric field strength is a crucial factor in the design and operation of electronic devices and circuits.