Electric field with three charges

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three charges placed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle. The goal is to find the magnitude of the electric field at two different points, halfway between two of the charges. The individual asking for help mentions using x and y components and figuring out the angle to split the electric field into these components. Another person provides guidance on how to calculate this angle and the components for the electric field at both points. Eventually, the individual is able to solve the problem on their own.
FlipStyle1308
Here is the problem which I need to solve:

The following picture shows a system consisting of three charges, q1 = +4.07 μC, q2 = +4.07 μC, and q3 = -4.07 μC, at the vertices of an equilateral triangle of side d = 2.29 cm. Find the magnitude of the electric field at a point halfway between the charges q1 and q2. Also find the magnitude of the electric field at the point halfway between the charges q2 and q3.

19-32.gif

I pretty much already got down that I have to use x and y components, and got that E1 and E2 cancel each other out (using the equation E = q/r^2). I just pretty much need to figure out how to get the x and y components for E3, and I think I'll be able to finish up the problem on my own. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
FlipStyle1308 said:
I pretty much already got down that I have to use x and y components, and got that E1 and E2 cancel each other out (using the equation E = q/r^2). I just pretty much need to figure out how to get the x and y components for E3, and I think I'll be able to finish up the problem on my own. Thanks.

Yeah, you're right on track. Can you figure out the angle so that you can split E3 into x & y components? (Hint: You know it's an equilateral triangle)

Last edited:
This is one thing I was stuck at...60 degrees or 30 degrees (to cut the angle in half to go directly in between E2 and E3)? I'm leaning toward 30 degrees, am I right?

Hi flipstyle,
you have an equilateral triangle, so if you trace a line which joint q3 and the midpoint between q1 q2, the lengh of this segment will be d√3/2.
A test charge placed at halfway between q1 and q2 will be affected only by q3 since the influence of q1 and q2 cancel each other. So the electric field will be along the line joining the midpoint and q3.

a test charge halfway between q2 and q3,call this point M, will experience a repulsion from q2, attraction from q3 with the same intensity. so the electric field at M will have a component along the line joining M and q3.

But the same test charge at M will also experience a repulsion from q1 that you can calculate the same maner as you have done for the first question. This repulsive force will be along the line q1 M.
This gives you to perpendicular component of the electric force at M.
From this it should be easy for you to continue.
Bye

Thanks for all the help/tips...I figured it out.

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It can be thought of as a region of space that has the potential to influence the motion of charged particles.

2. How do three charges affect the electric field?

The electric field created by three charges is the sum of the individual electric fields created by each charge. The direction and strength of the electric field at any point will depend on the positions and magnitudes of the three charges.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric field with three charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field with three charges is E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point where the electric field is being calculated.

4. How does the distance between the three charges affect the electric field?

The distance between the three charges will affect the strength of the electric field. As the distance between the charges increases, the electric field will decrease. This is because the force exerted by the charges on each other decreases with distance.

5. Can the direction of the electric field change with three charges?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can change with three charges. The direction of the electric field at any point will depend on the relative positions and magnitudes of the three charges. It can also change if the charges are moved or if the distance between them is changed.