1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields Question, What is the speed of the electron?

1. Feb 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron is released from rest in a weak electric field given by -2.8 x 10^-10 N/C [PLAIN]https://www.flipitphysics.com/Content/smartPhysics/Media/Images/Tipler/Symbols/jhatbold.gif. [Broken] After the electron has traveled a vertical distance of 1.9 µm, what is its speed? (Do not neglect the gravitational force on the electron.) Answer should be in mm/s.

Any help towards setting up this problem or what formula to use will be greatly appreciated.
    2. Relevant equations
    E=F/q
    F=qE+qV*B

F= (1/4πE0)(q1q2/r^2)
    Fnet=Fg=ma=mg

Work Done = F*d = 1/2(mv^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know where to start, this is the last problem on my assignment and I only have a few attempts left, we did not go over this in class yet and our class uses "Flipit Physics" videos instead of a book.

I tried Fe=qE
    =(1.602x10^-19)(-2.8x10^-10) = -4.4856x10^-29
    then a = Fe/m
    = -4..572477064 x 10^-31 which was wrong

I also tried Work Done = F*d = 1/2(mv^2) and solved for v but that was also wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2017 #2
    E=1/2mv^2 is equal to the total work done on the particle. You have two forces: the Lorentz force F=q(E+v*B) and gravitational force F=mg, both in the same direction (I assume j-hat is the unit vector in the y direction).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted