Electric filed physics problem. Help!

• Thread starter sept26bc
  • Start date
F= ma and E=F/q So i sub, and get ma= Eq then solved for q/m

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Good. You have the right equation. You just didn't manipulate it correctly to get the result for q/m.

Can you explain your steps in getting from ma = Eq to the result for q/m?

ma=Eq I divided by m on each side to get q/m= aE. Then a=-9.81 and E= -150. I multiplied. Oh wait okay so I was supposed to get: a/E= q/m. so It would be -9.81/-150 = -0.654. q/m = -0.654 Correct?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
ma=Eq I divided by m on each side to get q/m= aE. Then a=-9.81 and E= -150. I multiplied. Oh wait okay so I was supposed to get: a/E= q/m. so It would be -9.81/-150 = -0.654. q/m = -0.654 Correct?

ok except for the location of the decimal point and you need to include proper units with your answer.

okay I fixed the units and decimal points on my paper. it would be -0.0654 C/kg .
okay if that is correct how would I find the total energy associated with the electric field of the Earth, if Earth is a charged capacitor? Would I use U=1/2 CV^2. Does the value of capacitance of the Earth matter?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hint: Write U as U = 1/2 (CV) V and recall that CV = Q for a capacitor. So, you can express U in terms of Q and V (which you have already calculated) and you won't need a value for C.

Or, you could use Q = CV to find C and then plug into your equation.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

Hint: If you want to find the acceleration, you use Newton's second law.

Okay Thanks! I found acceleration can you reassure my answer?
so F=ma and E=F/q I substitute and get a= Eq/m and with the numbers plugged in I get:
a= (-150N/C)(1.602*10^-19 Nm^2/C^2) / (1.67*10^-27 kg)
a= -1.44*10^10 m/s^2

for charge to mass ratio I used E=ma/q rearrange to get q/m= a/E. Plug in the numbers of a and E, (-1.44*10^10m/s^2)/ (-150N/C) = q/m answer is -0.0654 kq/C

Another question is how would I find the total energy associated with electrical field of the Earth if the Earth is like a charged capacitor? Would I use U=1/2CV^2 ?

thanks

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

You didn't do part 4 correctly. What are the forces on the particle and what is its acceleration if it's hovering?

If you're considering the Earth a capacitor, then yes, you can use that formula. You'll need to figure out the capacitance of the Earth.

I don't understand the hovering part, would it be the gravitational force 9.81? what would I do then?

Vela. I'm really confused I've been working on this for hours. I know that the gravitational and electric force have to cancel in order for the particle to be hovering.how would another force be included in the equation q/m=a/E ? or am i using the wrong equation?

Last edited:
SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Vela. I'm really confused I've been working on this for hours. I know that the gravitational and electric force have to cancel in order for the particle to be hovering.how would another force be included in the equation q/m=a/E ? or am i using the wrong equation?

So, you need [itex]\displaystyle \frac{|F_\text{electric}|}{|F_\text{gravity}|}=1\ .[/itex] Correct?

How is [itex]\displaystyle |F_\text{electric}| [/itex] related to E and [itex]\displaystyle |F_\text{gravity}| [/itex] related to g ?

well F=ma and E=F/q so E= ma/q

|Felectric| is related to E by E=F/q
and |Fgravity| related to g by F=ma

correct?

im not understanding why you have Felectric/ Fgravity=1

Last edited:
SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

well F=ma and E=F/q so E= ma/q

|Felectric| is related to E by E=F/q
and |Fgravity| related to g by F=ma

correct?

im not understanding why you have Felectric/ Fgravity=1
If the particle hovers, what is its acceleration?

the acceleration would be zero because its not moving.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
So you know there are two forces on the particle, the force of gravity ##\vec{F}_g## and the electric force ##\vec{F}_E##. You also know the acceleration is 0 because it's not moving.

What is the magnitude of ##\vec{F}_g##? What is the magnitude of ##\vec{F}_E##?

Now take all that info and use Newton's second law, which is ##\sum \vec{F} = ma##. What do you get?