1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric flux changing forumla variables

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    A point charge Q at the center of a sphere of radius R produces an electric flux of (flux symbol) coming out of the sphere. If the charge remains the same but the radius of the sphere is doubled, the electric flux coming out of it will be?

LINK TO ORIGINAL PROBLEM: http://i.imgur.com/e8Tmt.png

ATTEMPT: using the formula: flux=E(4(pi)r^2) I got (flux symbol)/4 as my answer. Is this right?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Have you studied Gauss' Law? What does it say about the flux and the total charge contained within a boundary?

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    well flux is = EA where A = 4(pi)r^2 and E = (kq)/r^2. so, it looks like the r^2 will cancel when multiplied, meaning that changing the radius doesn't change the flux. is this sound logic?

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

That'll do :smile:

FYI, Gauss' Law states that the total flux through a closed bounding surface is entirely determined by the total charge contained within that surface:

[itex] \Phi = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0} [/itex]

That's probably a more direct route to the same answer.

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook