Electric Flux Through Spherical Surface Centered at Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric flux through a spherical surface centered on the origin with a radius of 5.0 cm, where a uniform linear charge density of 4.0 nC/m is distributed along the x axis. The formula for finding the charge and flux are mentioned, and the individual attempts at solving the problem are discussed. In the end, it is determined that the correct value for the flux is 45 N m2/C and the discrepancy was caused by using an incorrect formula for the length L.
rizamadiyar
A uniform linear charge density of 4.0 nC/m is distributed along the entire x axis. Consider a spherical (radius = 5.0 cm) surface centered on the origin. Determine the electric flux through this surface.

Homework Equations

L=2rπ
φ=Q/ε
λ=Q/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the charge by substituting values into Q=λL, then I found the flux, but the answer I get is incorrect, the correct one is 45 N m2/C

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
rizamadiyar said:
I found the charge by substituting values into Q=λL,
Where L is what? You wrote L=2πr. Is that what you used? On what basis?

haruspex said:
Where L is what? You wrote L=2πr. Is that what you used? On what basis?
Oh, I got this, L=2R, not 2πR, since the charge is distributed on the axis. Am I right?

rizamadiyar said:
Oh, I got this, L=2R, not 2πR, since the charge is distributed on the axis. Am I right?
Yes.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. It is a way to quantify the electric field's strength and direction in a particular region.

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the perpendicular area it passes through. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = E * A * cosθ, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, A is the area, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the area.

3. What is a spherical surface?

A spherical surface is a three-dimensional shape that is perfectly symmetrical and has the same radius from its center to any point on its surface. It is often represented as a sphere in mathematics and physics.

4. How is electric flux through a spherical surface centered at the origin calculated?

The electric flux through a spherical surface centered at the origin can be calculated by first determining the electric field at any point on the surface. Then, the magnitude of the electric field and the area of the surface can be used to calculate the flux using the formula mentioned above (Φ = E * A * cosθ).

5. Why is the electric flux through a spherical surface centered at the origin important?

The electric flux through a spherical surface centered at the origin is important because it is a fundamental concept in understanding and analyzing electric fields. It is also used in various applications, such as in calculating the electric field strength of a point charge or a conducting sphere.