Electric Flux through a sphere from a point charge

In summary, the electric flux through the sphere due to a point charge located at (x',y',z') is simply E = -\frac{q}{ε_0}.
deedsy

Homework Statement

I need to create an equation that can tell me the electric flux through the surface of a sphere (centered at the origin) due to a point charge placed at various locations in/around the sphere. For example, find the electric flux through the sphere (of radius = 1) with a point charge placed at (1,0.5,0) --> these are (x',y',z') aka the location of the point charge.

* I realize this can be easily solved using Gauss Law, but I cannot use that and need to rigorously prove the solutions with a double integral (see below)

Homework Equations

*see below

The Attempt at a Solution

The strategy I'll be using for this problem will be to calculate [itex] \oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A} [/itex] over the surface of the sphere. So for the sphere, [itex] d\vec{A} = r^2 sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi [/itex].

Also, in spherical coordinates, the potential is (with x',y',z' the location of the point charge relative to the origin (the center of the sphere)): [itex] V(r,\theta,\phi) = \frac{q}{4 \pi ε_0} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(r sin(\theta)cos(\phi) - x')^2 + (r sin(\theta)sin(\phi) - y')^2 + (r cos(\theta) - z')^2}} [/itex]

We also know that: [itex] E(r,\theta,\phi) = -\nabla V(r,\theta,\phi) [/itex]

So, as you can see in my attached image (from Mathcad - i wrote (x',y',z') as (xp,yp,zp)) the integral that I believe should give me what I want is:
[tex] E = \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi -\nabla_r V(r,\theta,\phi) r^2 sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi [/tex]
where I have assumed that E_r is the only component of the flux I should be concerned with (perhaps this is my error??)

Now I should be able to change my (x',y',z') (xp,yp,zp in Mathcad) values for the location of the point charge, and my integral should give me the correct electric flux through the sphere due to it. For example, with a sphere radius = 1, and point charge located at (x',y',z')=(0.3,0,0) I should get simply [itex] E = \frac{q}{ε_0} [/itex]. With (x',y',z')=(2,0,0), I should get E = 0. For (x',y',z')=(1,0,0) - the point charge right on the surface of the sphere, I should get [itex] E = \frac{q}{2 ε_0} [/itex].

Unfortunately, I've waited for Mathcad to evaluate this integral for 15 minutes, and it's still working on it, so I don't think it's correct. Did I set this problem up correctly??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 12.25.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 12.25.14 PM.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 683
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hey, thanks for the concern, but I actually figured this one out. It was more a problem with Mathcad than my method. The method I posted above was the right way to go about the problem

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given surface. It is defined as the product of the electric field and the area of the surface, perpendicular to the field.

2. How is electric flux through a sphere calculated?

The electric flux through a sphere is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength at the surface of the sphere by the surface area of the sphere, which is 4πr^2.

3. What is the relationship between electric flux and a point charge?

The electric flux through a sphere from a point charge is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charge and the surface of the sphere.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the electric flux through a sphere?

The electric flux through a sphere is always positive when the electric field is directed outward from the sphere. If the electric field is directed inward, the flux will be negative.

5. Can the electric flux through a sphere ever be zero?

Yes, the electric flux through a sphere can be zero if the point charge is located at the center of the sphere. In this case, the electric field is perpendicular to the surface of the sphere and there is no net flux passing through it.