1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Instrument & Conductor in Electric Field

1. Feb 4, 2015 #1
    I was shuffling through the previous years question papers & I got this question !!

'' A sensitive instrument is influenced by the strong electric field. Write a possible way to prevent this effect. Why is the electric field normal to the surface? ''

I am not sure what the answer it. But this is what i figured out.
    "
    It is obvious that the instrument is a conductor. Therefore it has got excess of free electrons. These free electrons will arrange them in such a way that develops an inner electric field which will cancel the electric field of the outside. There will be accumulation of negative charges on one side & positive on the other. Hence the effect of the outside electric field is neutralized.
    Electric field lines are always perpendicular to the conducting surface; because it they form any other angle with respect to the surface they would cancel each other out because of symmetry.
    "

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

So how would you prevent an electric field from affecting the instrument? Can you change the instrument? Or do you need to keep the field from getting to the instrument?

Have you studied anything that can keep out an electric field?

4. Feb 4, 2015 #3

Svein

Science Advisor

A hint: There is no electric field inside a conductor.

5. Feb 4, 2015 #4
    You guys mean to say,
    Placing the sensitive instrument inside a conductor ?

6. Feb 5, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

Have you heard of shielded cables?
    upload_2015-2-5_7-23-59.jpeg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted