Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential anyone help

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    Please anyone explain that to me as i cannot get it .How to link the potential difference which comes by integration dv=-E.dr like the potential inside and outside a charged sphere and the potential which comes by V=IR in our daily circuits how that comes i know that these are basics but i still want to understand and thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ahmedhassan72! :smile:

there are often two ways of defining electric units :wink:

voltage = energy/charge = work/charge = force"dot"distance/charge = (from the Lorentz force) electric field"dot"distance, or dV = E.dr

but also voltage = energy/charge = (energy/time)/(charge/time) = power/current, or V = W/I :smile:

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    so how can i apply the dv=-E.dr in circuit to measure a potential accross a resistor or capacitor to get to the v=IR ...also what is the lorents force....i got from u that if i have a stright line cylinderical wire and a battery then i can i measure by dv=-E.dr but for easiness i get it by v=IR

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook