Electric potential at a point due to two charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric potential at point P due to charges Q1 and Q2. The formula V=KQ1/r is used, resulting in values of 36000V and 18000V for each charge, respectively. The final answer is 54000V, which is the sum of the two individual potential values. The error of using the equation for electric field instead of potential is also addressed.
Schaus

Homework Statement

What is the electric potential at P due to charges Q1 and Q2?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tUDlHBQ52PYnzufzP-Kow958ph1wtMx-Ar2qhUvAIATr-otVU6ESS6vHnPpv8MNO2NQnII4SQjJ041O9YwGa0LjXHh_rJISBvX7Aoa1PPX7G-YSIQBH6mhyJh0zX2k40M6MceWdCGc7XEMUIT4cnvUqd2s2I6PFbFFBq9NAFftkITBAMNcpevIkdiR4BjYP03Ap0lDGHt3QsM1BNSY4eFannXQbq5WKipGUMk24d4yyewzh2lHph_kOBmCyF3oyTonsfD0hLdpTQeRL6_l4VdlAyFUCHmwcID8vVRNXImlVwsFdQRPO2ZjXog3Fj7HATJbqrhRPNI15vUO99Nn82a3oT26ogHn8jPK5CICvLk8eZZdYfPJuFUOJLCL4xw8_ZVLMZS8xdYw6y4KOg87pN642r8D3sewHjeJejKvtWFkOf6Th5M_kLOXMN2mkMasYc2PoF1rEYNnbyC13KaRZ7uFc9tnK6cDLdLBvAfbwZdjhQ50XZzoc9oK0mWvJIRkK9-rTOHDHlyAEYP8JHfyeSQp7Xg4LX5RA6m9ZFLFAJVDGFGTo1VafxTUlEzs9f-uCOJz6nkO2gQY0z1pcPk3K4NNgps-KCU2YKFkmbgiNmihdEbrtghvgN=w684-h241-no [Broken]
upload_2016-12-23_14-51-15.png

Homework Equations

V=KQ1/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above formula to...
(9.0 x 109)(4.0 x 10-6)/1 = 36000V
(9.0 x 109)(1.0 x 10-6)/0.5 = 18000V
Now the answer is 54000V and I'm just wondering if that's the answer because you take 36000J + 18000V = 54000V?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the equation you're using for electric potential. The question asks for the potential, not the electric field (which would be a vector quantity).

Likes Schaus
Wow I don't know how I missed the fact it said potential. I may need to take a break. Thanks for your help! I got the answer.

1. What is electric potential at a point due to two charges?

The electric potential at a point due to two charges is the amount of electric potential energy that a unit charge would have at that point, caused by the presence of the two charges.

2. How is the electric potential at a point calculated?

The electric potential at a point is calculated by taking the sum of the potential due to each individual charge. This is represented by the equation V = k(q1/r1 + q2/r2), where V is the electric potential, k is Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances from the point to each charge.

3. Can the electric potential at a point be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a point can be negative. A negative electric potential indicates that the electric field is directed towards the point, while a positive electric potential indicates that the electric field is directed away from the point.

4. How does the distance from the charges affect the electric potential at a point?

The electric potential at a point is inversely proportional to the distance from the charges, meaning that as the distance increases, the electric potential decreases. This relationship is represented by the equation V = k(q1/r1 + q2/r2), where r1 and r2 are the distances from the point to each charge.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the electric potential at a point due to two charges?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the electric potential at a point, such as the magnitude and sign of the charges. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charges can also impact the electric potential at a point.