Electric potential at center of semicircle

In summary: So you would have r=x and dL = dx, while Q remains Q. Then you integrate over x from 0 to L/2.In summary, we have a uniform charge Q distributed over a semicircular thread of length L. To find the potential at the center, we use the formula V = kQ/r, where r is the distance from the center and k is a constant. By using the arc length formula L = theta r, we can relate r and L and express the final result as kQpi/L. It is important to use a different integration variable, such as x, when integrating over the length of the semicircle to avoid confusion.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

A total charge Q is uniformly distributed on a thread of length L. This thread forms a semicircle. what is the potential at the center? (assume V=0 at large distances)

Homework Equations

V = -∫Edl
E = kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

V = - ∫Edr = -E∫dr = -Er = - kQr/r^2 = -kQ/r
is this correct? I am not sure if the sign should be negative

Physics news on Phys.org
E is a vector and it is not constant. Finding the electric field is more complicated, it is sufficient to calculate the potential here but that has a different formula.
Also, using r both for radius and for the length along the circle is confusing and leads to wrong results.

hmmm so would it be correct to say
V = ∫dV = k∫dQ/r = kQ/r because Q is constant?

The result is right but you'll have to justify the steps you used.

mfb said:
The result is right but you'll have to justify the steps you used.
Does this mean i have to plug something in for dQ?

The length should appear somewhere.

Oh, and I guess the final result should be expressed in terms of L instead of r as well I guess.

I think i can use arc length formula L = theta r to relate r and L. I am not sure how I can plug that into the equation for V. I think this doesn't seem like it should be a tough problem but I must be missing something obvious =[

This is not a tough problem. Yes you can use the arc length formula.

If a charge Q is uniformly distributed over a length L, what is the charge per length?

I think it would simply be Q/L so dQ in terms of the charge density would be dQ = λdL = (Q/L)dL

V = k∫dQ/r = k∫(Q/L)dL/r = kQL/Lr = kQ/r ??

Looks fine. Now you just have to express r in terms of L.
The semicircle has a length of L.

so since L = theta r then r = L/theta so the final step would be
kQ/r = kQtheta/L
but since they don't give me theta can I get away with doing this?

toothpaste666 said:
they don't give me theta
toothpaste666 said:
This thread forms a semicircle

assuming a semicircle is a half circle (forgive me if this is incorrect I am not 100 percent sure) then L would equal the perimeter or L = (pi/2)r^2
so r = sqrt(2L/pi) so it would be kQ/(sqrt(2L/pi))

toothpaste666 said:
assuming a semicircle is a half circle (forgive me if this is incorrect I am not 100 percent sure)
Yes, semicircle just means half-circle

toothpaste666 said:
L = (pi/2)r^2
I think you're mixing up the area and circumference formulas. On the left side you have units of length but on the right side you have units of length squared.

Likes toothpaste666
oops sorry L = 2(pi/2)r = pi r
so r = L/pi
so kQ/r = kQpi/L

thanks guys

i feel like i did something wrong. if my integral was k∫(Q/L)dL/r then wouldn't it be
k∫(Q/L)dL/r = kQ/r∫dL/L(because Q and r are constant) = kQ/r (ln(L)) ??

or If i put everything in terms of L instead of r from the begining:
k∫((Q/L)dL)/(L/pi) = k∫piQdL/L^2 = kpiQ∫dL/L^2 = - kpiQ/L
so it would be negative?

If you use L like this, you have to integrate over a different variable, like L' (or x, or whatever). The L in Q/L does not change in the integral.

the L in r = L/pi changes? How would I have to set that up for it to be correct?

No it does not change!
That's why it is better to use a different integration variable along the length of the semicircle, like x.

What is electric potential at the center of a semicircle?

The electric potential at the center of a semicircle is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at that point. It is a scalar quantity that determines the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from infinity to the center of the semicircle against the electric field.

How do you calculate the electric potential at the center of a semicircle?

The electric potential at the center of a semicircle can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/R, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the semicircle, and R is the radius of the semicircle.

What factors affect the electric potential at the center of a semicircle?

The electric potential at the center of a semicircle is affected by the charge of the semicircle, the radius of the semicircle, and the distance between the center of the semicircle and the point where the potential is being measured. It is also influenced by the presence of any other charges in the surrounding area.

Why is the electric potential at the center of a semicircle important?

The electric potential at the center of a semicircle is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how charges interact with each other. It is also used in various applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits and devices.

How does the electric potential at the center of a semicircle relate to the electric field?

The electric potential at the center of a semicircle is directly related to the electric field. The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, which means that the direction of the electric field is always in the direction of decreasing potential. Therefore, the electric potential at the center of a semicircle can be used to determine the strength and direction of the electric field at that point.