1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential at certain point from charged sphere

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Let's say I have a sheet of charge that is composed of a certain amount of charged atoms summing up to Q and a certain area A. The charge density would be Q/A = σ. I wish to find the elctrostatic potential from the sheet at point X. I believe that the electric potential should follow the equation:

V = (σX)/ ε_0

However, shouldn't the potential decrease as I travel away from the sheet? If I have a sphere of charge and I travel away from it, then this is the case. Why is this situation different?

EDIT: I meant sheet in the title ofthe post. I just had the sphere idea in my mind at the time!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    Hi TheCammen,

1. Strictly speaking, the relation is valid for an infinite sheet only .

2. The potential difference between two points , one at X1 and the other at X2 ( X2>X1) is

V=-σ(X2-X1)/ε0 ( pay attention to the minus sign). And as you see the potential does decrease as you travel away from the sheet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook