1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential at point x on the axis of a ring of charge density eta

1. Oct 21, 2010 #1
    Electric potential at point x on the axis of a ring of charge density "eta"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular disk of radius R and total charge Q has the charge distributed with surface charge density [tex]\eta[/tex] = cr, where c is a constant. Find an expression for the electric potential at distance z on the axis of the disk. Your expression should include R and Q, but not c.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\eta[/tex]=cr where c is constant
    V=(1/4pi[tex]\epsilon[/tex])(Q/r)
    V=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Vi

3. The attempt at a solution
    So what I did was to sum all Vi and i was able to pull (1/4pi[tex]\epsilon[/tex]) and (1/sqrt(z^2+R^2) out which leaves me with Q left in the sum which I know i need to relate to [tex]\eta[/tex] in some way. The problem I'm having here is that I just don't understand how to work with [tex]\eta[/tex]=cr in such a way as to get rid of the constant c in my answer.

I feel like I'm not grasping this problem as a whole so any help would be wonderful. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2010 #2
    Re: Electric potential at point x on the axis of a ring of charge density "eta"

To eliminate c, since \eta = cr, you can integrate the charge density over the disk to compute the total charge, Q. This should give you c in terms of Q and R.

4. Oct 22, 2010 #3
    Re: Electric potential at point x on the axis of a ring of charge density "eta"

Nice! Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?