1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential at the center of a cylinder enclosed in a cylindrical shell

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solid metal cylinder of radius R and length L, carrying a charge Q, is surrounded by a thick coaxial metal shell of inner radius a and outer radius b. The shell carries no net charge. Find the potential at the center, using r=b as the reference point.

2. Relevant equations

V= (1/4πεo)q/r

V = -∫E dot dl

3. The attempt at a solution

The cylinder is not infinite but I assume I'd have to ignore end effects.

I want to approach this problem using gauss's law to find the field and then integrating. I don't even think I can use the first equation since my reference point is not at infinity.

This is easy enough but I'm having problems because I don't know the electric field at the boundaries. I can find the field easily when r<R when R < a < b and when a < r < b

I don't know what the field is exactly at the surfaces?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, aftershock.

The fact that E is discontinuous at the surfaces will not cause any problem. You do not need to worry about the value of E at a surface. E will be a piecewise continuous function. When you integrate a piecewise continuous function, you do not need to know the value of the function at the discontinuities.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    Thank you, but I'm still confused. I actually have the solution but I can't make sense of it.

the solution tells me V(b)-V(a) = ∫Q/(2πoLr) integrated from a to b

Why am I integrating the electric field in the region R < r < a from a to b. Isn't the electric field zero from a to b since it's inside a conductor?

Then it goes on to claim V(0) = V(a)

How does that happen?

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're right, the integration should be from R to a. The integration form a to b would be zero since E is zero in that region.

6. Oct 28, 2012 #5
    So the answer is the integral of the field from R to a?

And b does not appear in the solution even though it's the reference point?

7. Oct 28, 2012 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Technically you should be integrating from R to b, but the part of the integral form a to b is zero. So, you just need to integrate from R to a. :smile:

[Edit: Actually, technically, you should be integrating from r = 0 to r = b. But the integral from 0 to R is also zero.]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  8. Oct 28, 2012 #7
    Thank you!

It's actually integrating from a to R though, right? Or are you reversing the order and throwing away the negative sign?

9. Oct 28, 2012 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. I was reversing the limits to get rid of the negative sign. Good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook