Electric potential between hands

In summary, when holding voltmeter contacts in each hand, the meter reads about 0.2V. This slight difference in potential could be due to moisture on the hands, which affects conductivity and creates more ions on one side than the other. It is also possible that the electric fields from the power supply can affect the reading when using a DC voltmeter. However, a difference of 0.03V is within the normal range.
Kglocc
When I hold voltmeter contacts in my hands, (one in each) the meter reads about .2V
I know it isn't that significant, but what could be the explanation for this? Are we charged? Why would there be potential between my left and right hand? Or is it just a fluke from rubbing my socks on the carpet or something? hmm I'm going to go check that last theory out, but I still want to shoot this question out.

Biology news on Phys.org
its just moisture that makes the conductivity. I guess I've got more ions on one side than the other so I there's potential as well.

Kglocc said:
When I hold voltmeter contacts in my hands, (one in each) the meter reads about .2V

I'm only 0.03V so I'm much more normal :p

We are simply bathed by alternative electric fields that come from electric power supply.
When measured by a DC voltmeter it will give some wrong value.

I can provide an explanation for the electric potential between your hands. The human body is made up of atoms, which contain positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons. Normally, these charges are balanced, resulting in a neutral overall charge. However, when you rub your socks on the carpet, you are essentially transferring electrons from one surface to another. This results in an excess of electrons on your body, giving you a negative charge.

When you hold the voltmeter contacts in your hands, the excess electrons on your body create an electric potential between the two contact points. This potential is what the voltmeter is measuring at .2V. So, in essence, you are acting as a conductor for the electric potential between the two contact points.

It is also possible that other factors, such as humidity or temperature, could affect the electric potential between your hands and the voltmeter contacts. However, the most likely explanation in this case is the transfer of electrons from rubbing your socks on the carpet.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of electric potential and why it may be present between your hands when using the voltmeter. Keep exploring and asking questions – that's what scientists do!

1. What is electric potential between hands?

Electric potential between hands refers to the difference in the electrical potential energy between two points on the surface of the hands. It is caused by the presence of electric charges on the hands and is measured in units of volts (V).

2. How is electric potential between hands measured?

Electric potential between hands can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electrical potential between two points. In this case, the voltmeter would be placed on the surface of each hand to determine the potential difference.

3. What factors affect the electric potential between hands?

The electric potential between hands is affected by the amount of charge present on the hands and the distance between the hands. The type of material on the surface of the hands can also play a role in the potential difference.

4. Why is the electric potential between hands important?

The electric potential between hands can have important implications in areas such as electrostatic discharge safety and touch-sensitive technologies. It can also be used to measure the body's bioelectricity and can provide insight into the function of the nervous system.

5. How does the electric potential between hands differ from other types of electric potential?

The electric potential between hands is a specific type of electric potential that occurs between two points on the surface of the body. Other types of electric potential, such as that between two charged objects, can occur in three-dimensional space and can be affected by factors such as distance and the presence of other charges.