Electric Field -- Potential between the ends of a 2 meter stick

In summary, the potential difference between the ends of a 2 meter stick that is parallel to a uniform electric field is 300V. The electric field is not uniform, so the formulas that apply to a point charge probably aren't useful for this problem.
Fikremariam
Homework Statement
The potential difference between the ends of a 2 meter stick that is parallel to a uniform electric field is 300V determine the magnitude of the electric field
Relevant Equations
E=F/q
E=K q/r square
I tried to find the charge from the formula v=k q/r and apply it to find the field but couldn't be sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Fikremariam said:
Homework Statement:: The potential difference between the ends of a 2 meter stick that is parallel to a uniform electric field is 300V determine the magnitude of the electric field
Relevant Equations:: E=F/q
E=K q/r square

I tried to find the charge from the formula v=k q/r and apply it to find the field but couldn't be sure
In the formulas, ##E = kq/r^2## and ##V=kq/r##, what does the variable ##r## represent? Be specific.

It represents the distance from the charge

More specifically, the distance from a point charge. In this problem, you're told there's a uniform field—that is constant magnitude and constant direction. Is the field of a point charge uniform?

I didn't know that is why I asked

But you can figure it out. Look at the formula for ##E##. If you plug in different values for ##r##, you don't get the same number, i.e., the magnitude changes with distance, so the field of a point charge isn't uniform. That means the formulas that apply to a point charge probably aren't useful for this problem.

I'm guessing you feel a bit overwhelmed by the many formulas for the electric field, potential energy, electric potential that you've encountered recently. It might be a good idea to write them all down on a piece of paper and note when each formula is applicable. I suggest this for two reasons: (1) when you do this, you'll probably see there aren't as many formulas as you thought there were, so the topic will seem more manageable; and (2) it's helpful to have this sheet when you're working on homework.

In this problem, you're looking for a relationship between ##\Delta V## and ##E## when ##\vec E## is uniform. Try checking the chapter summary for such a relationship.

Here's a hint: What are the SI units of the electric field?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is expressed as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

What is the potential between the ends of a 2 meter stick?

The potential between the ends of a 2 meter stick depends on the charge distribution along the stick and the distance between the ends. It can be calculated by integrating the electric field over the length of the stick.

How does potential change with distance?

The potential between two points in an electric field is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the potential decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

What factors affect the potential between the ends of a 2 meter stick?

The potential between the ends of a 2 meter stick is affected by the charge distribution along the stick, the distance between the ends, and the presence of any other charged particles in the vicinity. It can also be affected by the type of material the stick is made of, as different materials have different electrical properties.