1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential due to multiple charges

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    bfPCQT1.png

2. Relevant equations

E = kq1q2/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

Please correct me if im wrong but I think it is A. Since doubling the charge, doubles the potential as well, while doubling the radius between the charges would just exponentially decrease the electric potential. My question here is if that is the correct equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2
    Be careful. This questions asks you which statement is true about the electric potential - not the electric field. Recall that the electric potential produced by a point charge Q is given by the expression:

##V = k \frac{Q}{r}##

where Q is the charge and r is the distance away from this charge. (This is the source charge).

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    So is it safe to say that the charge from the second point is irrelevant ?

5. Sep 22, 2013 #4
    That is correct. The electric potential at a point in space is independent of the test charge.

Some light reading from wikipedia for you (I especially recommend the introduction and the section titled electric potential due to a point charge): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_potential

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted