Electric Potential Energy of a Charge Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total electric potential energy and total electric potential at a point given a diagram and charges on three spheres. The equations used are EE = kq1q2/r + kq2q3/r + kq1q3/r and V = kq/r. The final answers for both parts are -405 J and 3.7x10^5 V or J/C, respectively.
HarleyM

Homework Statement

Examine the diagram provided,
Sphere 1: q=3.0x10-4C
Sphere 2: q=-3.0x10-4C
Sphere 3: q= 3x10-4C
digram.jpg

a) Find the total electric potential energy of the charge distribution
b) Find the total electric potential at point Z

Homework Equations

EE=kq1q2/r +kq2q3/r+kq1+q3/r... etc

V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

a) EE= kq1q2/r +kq2q3/r+kq1+q3/r
EE=(9x109)[(3.0x10-4*(-3.0x10-4)/3) + ((-3.0x10-4*(3.0x10-4)/3) + ((3.0x10-4*3.0x10-4)/6)]
EE= -405 J (Does anyone else get the same answer? I tried to do it continuously in my calculator so I don't lose digits)

b) V= K(q1/r+q2/r+q3/r)
V=(9x109)[(3.0x10-4/4.24)+(-3.0x10-4/3)+(3.0x10-4/4.24)]

V=3.7x105 V or J/C

Physics news on Phys.org
Those answers look good to me.

Ok thanks!

Those are tough to calculate all at once. It took me a few tries but I did end up with the same answers.
For anyone else who likes to take things one step at a time, here you go:

a) E = k[(-3x10^-8)+(1.5x10^-8)+(-3x10^-8)]

b) V = k(4.15094x10^-5)

(and at the end, when your multiplying the final sum by Coulomb's Constant (k=9x10^9), make sure to put brackets around that too. Seems to make a difference.)

(I'm not sure which unit it is)

I would first like to commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem and using the correct equations. However, I would like to point out a few things:

1. In part a), the student has correctly used the equation for electric potential energy, but has made a mistake in the calculation. The correct answer should be 4.05 J (not -405 J).

2. In part b), the student has used the equation for electric potential, but has not taken into account the distance between the charges. The correct equation should be V=kq/r, where r is the distance between the charge and the point Z. Without knowing this distance, it is not possible to calculate the electric potential at point Z.

3. Additionally, in both parts a) and b), it is important to note that the electric potential energy and electric potential are scalar quantities and should not have units of J/C. The correct units for electric potential energy are J and for electric potential are V (volts).

Overall, the student has demonstrated a good understanding of the concepts and equations related to electric potential and potential energy, but there are some errors in the calculations. I would suggest reviewing the calculations and units to ensure accuracy in the future.

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy of a charge distribution calculated?

The electric potential energy of a charge distribution is calculated by summing up the potential energy of each individual charge in the distribution. This can be done using the formula: U = kQq/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q and q are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does the distance between charges affect the electric potential energy of a charge distribution?

The electric potential energy of a charge distribution is inversely proportional to the distance between charges. As the distance between charges increases, the potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential energy and electric potential?

Electric potential energy and electric potential are directly related. Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. In other words, electric potential energy is the potential per unit charge multiplied by the charge of the particle.

5. How can the electric potential energy of a charge distribution be changed?

The electric potential energy of a charge distribution can be changed by altering the magnitude or distribution of the charges, or by changing the distance between them. It can also be changed by introducing other external electric fields that interact with the charges in the distribution.