Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential equals the negative area under the graph

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    When taking about potential and electric field, potential difference is equal to the negative of the area under the graph of E vs distance? why is that. My book defines it as the negative integral of Force times ds or V(intitial) - area under the curve. I don't understand why it's negative. I see it's the initial minus the entire are which would give me a negative potential difference, but why isn't it the final minus initial?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

It's by definition, potential is defined to be the negative of the work done by a field. It makes sense when you consider situations where total energy = potential energy + kinetic energy, such as an object being accelerated by a field (with no losses). For example, a positively charged object being accelerated from the positive plate of a capacitor to the negative plate in a vacuum (no drag); as the object accelerates away from the positive plate, it's kinetic energy increases and it's potential energy decreases, and total energy remains constant.

4. Feb 24, 2012 #3
    The negetive is result from:
    When a force take work,it transform the particular energy(such as electric inertial energy) into kinetic energy ,accoding to the conservation of energy, the particular energy is descreased.So f*s=-ΔE,so
    ΔE=-∫f*s.

5. Feb 26, 2012 #4
    thanks everyone

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook