1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential linear charge

1. Oct 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge Q is uniformly distributed along a straight line of length a. Calculate V by integration, choosing the origin of the coordinates as the center of the charge.
    Next, expand this value of V up to terms in 1/r^2
    2. Relevant equations
    [itex] V = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I let the line of charge sit along the z-axis, with its center at z=0, in the z-x plane
    I know the charge density [itex]\lambda=\frac{Q}{a} [/itex]

[itex] V = \frac{Q}{4\pi a \epsilon_0} \int_{-a/2}^{a/2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2 + x^2}} \, dz[/itex]

Solving the integral, this gives me the solution [itex] V = \frac{Q}{4\pi a \epsilon_0} \ln \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{a^2}{4}}+ \frac{a}{2}}{\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{a^2}{4}}- \frac{a}{2}}[/itex]

However, this is not the right answer. My book says the answer is [itex] V = \frac{Q}{4\pi a \epsilon_0} \ln \frac{\sqrt{r^2 - az + \frac{a^2}{4}}+ \frac{a}{2} -z}{\sqrt{r^2 + az + \frac{a^2}{4}}- \frac{a}{2} -z} [/itex]

So, now I realize I solved for the potential only straight above the center point of the line, on the x-axis... So, I'm guessing my book wants a solution for the potential anywhere, and that is why their answer looks more complicated, with more variables...

So, I'm having trouble generalizing my V formula to work for any point around the line of charge. I know I need to change [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2 + x^2}} [/itex], but I'm not sure how exactly to change it..

Also, I'm not sure what r and z correspond to in the book's solution - I'm not even sure how they set up their axis (no picture)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2
    You are correct in your assumptions, but you do need to find V for every point on the 3D plane.

Try using the generic form for electric potential where you would replace 1/√z2 + x2
    with 1/√(x - x')2 + (y - y')2 + (z - z')2

and think about which values would be zeroed due to the location of the rod.

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3
    Yes I'm glad to see that suggestion, as it was something i was considering this morning. Because the line of charge is on the z-axis, x'=y'=0. So I just need to replace [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + z^2}} [/itex] with [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 +y^2 + (z-z')^2}} [/itex] and solve this integral with dz'

Then I suppose the book just replaced [itex] \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} [/itex] with [itex] \sqrt{r^2} [/itex] in the answer?

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4
    Yes, that is correct about √r2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted