Electric Potential of a Cylinder using Poisson's Equation

In summary, the problem involves determining the potential of a homogeneously charged, infinitely long, straight wire with finite radius R using the Poisson-Equation. The solution involves separating the regions of r ≤ R and r ≥ R and using the continuity of potential and the fact that the potential must be finite at the center of the wire. However, two constants cannot be found without additional boundary conditions.
Trifis

Homework Statement

Consider a homogeneously charged, infinitely long, straight wire of finite radius R. Determine the potential [itex]\phi[/itex](r) of the wire for r ≤ R and for r ≥ R. You must use the Poisson-Equation!

Homework Equations

Δφ(r) = -ρ(r)/ε ⇔ [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂}{∂r}[/itex](r[itex]\frac{∂φ}{∂r}[/itex]) + [itex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂^{2}φ}{∂θ^{2}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂^{2}φ}{∂z^{2}}[/itex] = -ρ[itex]_{0}[/itex]/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok first of all, I'm really frustrated, cause this problem is a two-minutes work using the Gauss's Law and I'm stuck for an hour:mad:
This problem should be really trivial, cause the partial DE could be reduced due to symmetry (the electric field must have only radial dependency) to the following ordinary DE :
[itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex](r[itex]\frac{dφ}{dr}[/itex]) = -ρ[itex]_{0}[/itex]/ε , with the solution : φ(r) = -[itex]\frac{ρ [itex]_{0}[/itex]r^{2}}{4ε}[/itex] + C[itex]_{1}[/itex]ln(r) + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]
The problem is I've no idea how I could calculate C[itex]_{1}[/itex] and C[itex]_{2}[/itex] for the two areas r ≤ R and r ≥ R ! I've thought of integrating with upper and lower bounds instead of indefinitely but to no avail...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What boundary conditions are you using? First separate the solution into a solution of the two regions. Then, you know that the potential is continuous going between the two regions.

My problem is purely of mathematical nature. At what stage of the calculation should I separate the regions (after I've found the general solution of the DE?) and how I'm supposed to? Using Dirac's function maybe? But then again that is already done during the derivation of Poisson's law so it wouldn't help to go back. As already written, I've tried to put boundaries to the to integrals (e.g. from r' to R for the first and from R to r' for the second region or something like that) but it didn't help too much or at least that's what I understood...

There are no specific boundary conditions given! Just homogenity of charge til r=R.

Continuity is a good point! though I've never used that before, it could still lead me somewhere...

What I mean is that your general solution now needs to be split into two different regions. For example, for r<R then the natural log can't be there because it's undefined at 0 in that region. Continuity will be helpful too.

I don't know, if you know what you're doing (and after this problem you'll know what you're doing) you may be able to argue that the Poisson solution takes just about as long as the Gaussian formulation. Additionally, Poisson solutions hold in more situations than Gaussian -- I've never seen in infinite charged cylinder in real life.

Ok I've solved that, thanks for the tips...

As a matter of fact indefinite integration was the only possible approach to this problem. The trick in order to "separate" the regions is simply to consider ρ=ρ[itex]_{0}[/itex] on the inside and ρ=0 on the outside. Two of the emerging constants can be eliminated/calculated by the continuity of the potential and by the mere fact that in the centre of the sphere the potential must be finite. The other two constants cannot be found without any boundary conditions (e.g. φ(R)=0)

What is Poisson's Equation?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the electric potential and the charge density in a given region. It is often used in electrostatics to calculate the electric potential at a point in space.

How is Poisson's Equation applied to a cylinder?

To apply Poisson's equation to a cylinder, we first need to determine the charge density within the cylinder. This can be done by integrating the charge density over the volume of the cylinder. Once we have the charge density, we can plug it into Poisson's equation and solve for the electric potential at any point within the cylinder.

What factors affect the electric potential of a cylinder?

The electric potential of a cylinder is affected by several factors, including the charge density, the radius of the cylinder, and the distance from the center of the cylinder. It is also affected by the material properties of the cylinder, such as its conductivity and permittivity.

Can Poisson's Equation be used for any shape besides a cylinder?

Yes, Poisson's equation can be applied to any shape as long as we have the necessary information about the charge distribution within the region. However, for more complex shapes, the integration required to determine the charge density may be more difficult and other methods may be used instead.

How is the electric potential of a cylinder related to the electric field?

The electric potential of a cylinder is related to the electric field by the gradient operator. The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that it points in the direction of decreasing potential. This relationship can be derived from Poisson's equation.